Eggs again

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Woody is digging another hole. I'm assuming she will try to lay eggs again or at least "feels" like she needs to. Feedback from the last time, which was only a couple months ago, mentioned D3 imbalance as a possibility. Thoughts on how I can check or improve D3? Will, you mentioned it earlier- any advice? She is about 5.5 years

She is now eating mostly Mazuri and has a cuttlebone always accessible-which she nibbles on. But previously she was on a very mixed diet of veggies and spring mix and mazuri. I have to think it's a deficiency. Or she's "depressed" about her last round of unfertilized eggs.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Woody laid eggs again. 6 this time and I found her digging with her back legs about one month prior. Just wanted to check to see if I can get any other info on this behavior or anyone else that has experienced this. Why would a tort do this so often?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see where it's unusual. Last year my young leopard and first time layer laid August, September and October. That was after laying a couple times in June, but those first eggs never hardened.
Because I only got two eggs two develop and only one to hatch and survive, I mostly gave her this past summer off to grow and mature. She still laid a few clutches but none are fertile

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. This is the first reptile I have had so I wasn't sure if this is atypical. Good to know. Thanks!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
They can lay often sometimes. One of my adults just laid 3 times in 8 weeks. You can see it coming if you watch for traits. Mine will pace the fenceline when she is ready. And mine lay in the same general area each time. I have also noticed a big change in weather, especially before a cold front, will induce laying.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply!! Good to know. She laid another round again. They seem to be getting harder so I guess that's a good sign.