eggs won't hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I've got 7 Eastern Box Turtle eggs that are past 100 days incubation! I'm pulling my hair out! The eggs are in good condition and I can see obvious turtle shaped embryos in two of them. The others all had blood vessels during development but now I can't really see anything in the egg. Two hatched a month premature...don't know if that means anything or not...

I know I can do nothing but wait! Any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hatching premature can be 1 of 2 things (and these depend on whether the embryos actually pipped themselves or the eggs split). If the embryos hatched themselves, that would mean the humidity was to low. If the eggs split, that would mean the humidity was to high.
What day of incubation did the premature ones happen?
100 days is to long unless you are incubating in the 70'sF. I would be worried that the embryos have died. What color are the eggs? and can you see any movement in the embryos?

Danny

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Yeah, i dont have that much experience with hatching them because i let mine hatch naturally, plus i have only hatched two clutches of 4. All 8 are completely healthy. Both clutches hatched after roughly 75-80 days and after a hard rain. Im not sure but they may not still be alive, i really dont know. What are the conditions you had them under (im assuming you had them in an incubator)? Further info will help us understand what the problem might be!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
The temp in the incubator ranges between 79-82F, depending on the time of day. Humidity ranges between 85-90%. I use containers with 3 inches of vermiculite, filled 1 1/2 inches with water and topped with damp spagum moss. The eggs are nestled loosely in the moss.

I don't know if the premie eggs split or were pipped. Both were separated along the entire egg. One was at 60 days, not sure about the other.

The eggs are mostly white with a little tan mixed in. No movement that I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.