Electric heated floor ?

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Does anybody have any experience using electric heat coils under a stone floor for hot box? I'm planning to build a year around outdoor hot box plus tortoise run for my 8 yr old red foot. I have a friend who has done this for her sulcatta. Also has anybody experimented with earthen materials such as cob or Adobe for a hot box?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My opinion, The elective radiant floor is not robust enough, If it shorts out your done, or you rip it out and start over. Cob? Adobe is a poor insulator very cold.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It might be just a lot easier to check out Kane or Stanfield “pig mats” which come in all kinds of sizes and shapes, can be hooked up via a thermostat, are designed for this type of use, and last for a long time.

Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I looked into radiant floor heat. I was told it is not safe under heavy things that would lay flat on it.
Now, there are a couple members that have radiant floor heat with no problems last I heard. Of course can think who they are.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Does anybody have any experience using electric heat coils under a stone floor for hot box? I'm planning to build a year around outdoor hot box plus tortoise run for my 8 yr old red foot. I have a friend who has done this for her sulcatta. Also has anybody experimented with earthen materials such as cob or Adobe for a hot box?
At couple people here in az use adobe/cob houses for their sulcatas. They build them similar to a regular house. about 4x8x2. They ARE well insulated and hold the temps better than my insulated box. More thermal mass to help hold heat and keep it constant during cold months. Also some people around here have adobe/ cob floors sealed with mineral oil. It's a task to do but the floor is hard as concrete and actually heats up during the day. They do put the floors under South facing windows so the sun will heat up the floor and heat that huge thermal mass during the winter. We have an Adobe house at our farm in northern New Mexico and don't need an ac unit in the summer and barely use the heat in the winter since the Adobe is such a good insulator

Now adobe that doesn't see any heating or sun is and can become verry cold. If you design right or put in a heated floor it is easier to repair then using concrete or tile. When the adobe floor is sealed properly, it won't turn into a huge mud bath with water, tortoise urine, etc. Keep in mind adobe is more maintenance, ie you have to seal it with clay every year or so and reseal the floors with mineral oil.

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
It might be just a lot easier to check out Kane or Stanfield “pig mats” which come in all kinds of sizes and shapes, can be hooked up via a thermostat, are designed for this type of use, and last for a long time.

Good luck.
Thanks! Will look into that!

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
At couple people here in az use adobe/cob houses for their sulcatas. They build them similar to a regular house. about 4x8x2. They ARE well insulated and hold the temps better than my insulated box. More thermal mass to help hold heat and keep it constant during cold months. Also some people around here have adobe/ cob floors sealed with mineral oil. It's a task to do but the floor is hard as concrete and actually heats up during the day. They do put the floors under South facing windows so the sun will heat up the floor and heat that huge thermal mass during the winter. We have an Adobe house at our farm in northern New Mexico and don't need an ac unit in the summer and barely use the heat in the winter since the Adobe is such a good insulator

Now adobe that doesn't see any heating or sun is and can become verry cold. If you design right or put in a heated floor it is easier to repair then using concrete or tile. When the adobe floor is sealed properly, it won't turn into a huge mud bath with water, tortoise urine, etc. Keep in mind adobe is more maintenance, ie you have to seal it with clay every year or so and reseal the floors with mineral oil.

Yes! I've heard so many amazing things about adobe as a great insulator. My husband works for Santa Cruz State Parks here in C.A and will be working on patching an old Adobe historical building in the district. I thought if he gains enough knowledge it would be fun to experiment. Thank you for the response.