ELEPHANT GRASS

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Has anyone had any exposure or experience with elephant grass? I have contacted almost every local plant nursery, either they never heard of it and/or have no idea where to get it. From what i understand it is a fantastic food source for tortoises. Any information and opinions welcome. If i find a source to get some i am going to try and grow/feed it to my aldabra group.

elephant-grass-copy-500x500.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
sure its 10:28pm right now, ill post a pic tomorrow:)
Lol, no now! Being a tortoise forum member is a 24/7 job ;) I'm just kidding btw I know it's hard to get that sarcastic tone while typing lol. On a real note I'm very interested in this grass. Always looking for new things to try and grow

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne can you please post some pics of your elephant grass?

Sorry, I've pulled it all up and tossed it. But the seeds have spread, so there will be more picture opportunities next spring. But, I must confess, I may have mis-named my grass. A couple years ago I bought elephant grass seeds and tossed them into the desert tortoise, sulcata and leopard yards. The grass didn't do much in those yards because the tortoises tend to overgraze them, however, the following year I had this very tall grass come up all over the non-grazing tortoise areas - the box turtle pens mostly. It grew two or three feet tall, and I just naturally assumed it was the elephant grass. But after seeing a picture similar to the one at the top of this thread, I don't think what I have is elephant grass. Mine looks more like crab grass that has been nuked...that is, huge clumps of crab grass, two or three feet tall.

I bought my elephant grass seeds online. A Google search will pull it up for you.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they do but I know they don't ship to Texas . Don't know if they sell yo Florida .

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is it easy to maintain or does it become invasive?