Elongated in Shanghai - what to do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizg

5 Year Member
Hello

I live in shanghai, and a couple of years ago "inherited" a male elongated tortoise (Bob) from a friend who had bought him at a local market 2 years previously. I guess he's about 6-8 years old (about 8inches long, 0.8kg).

Currently he lives in my flat, but i know this is not a good environment for him, it's impossible to make one out of a small city flat for lots of reasons, although he seems pretty healthy with plenty of energy. So for this reason I am loathe to simply donate him to a friend here when i leave.

In November I will move back to UK, and i am not sure what to do with Bob. On the one hand he is very cute and I could prepare a proper indoor garden for him in UK with good climate control. I have been in touch with the UK authorities and got the relevant forms for Ex/Import.

However, i have found out that he is an endangered species, and so ask your advice, whether I should look to return him to the Wild (I am not sure if he was wild-caught or bred in captivity). Is there any organisation in South Asia who will look after him, i'm not sure that just dumping him in a forest in Laos will be beneficial.

Alternatively are there breeders in UK with a lady elongated? Is this the route to go? I would feel sad if i took him back to UK for him to eventually die heir-less... :tort:

Seek advice...

thanks
Liz

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not turn him over to the wild, especially at this age as he has been captive and likely does not have skills to allow him to survive the wild....if you are able to do the paper work to take him with you then do that.....a tort does not think about heirs....not at all....that is a human thought....if you have the ability to offer him a garden during nice weather in the uk I would vote you do that and set him up indoors during the cold weather....:D

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Elongateds aren't "endangered".....They are CITES II animals, which doesn't mean too very much .......However, trying to bring the animal back with you is going to be a long process, provided you are granted an Export Permit to being with.......A Customs Broker is who you need to talk to, in both Countries.......

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
EricIvins said:
Elongateds aren't "endangered".....They are CITES II animals, which doesn't mean too very much .......However, trying to bring the animal back with you is going to be a long process, provided you are granted an Export Permit to being with.......A Customs Broker is who you need to talk to, in both Countries.......

You are right about them being CITES II, but they are indeed endangered.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/10824/0

Liz- I think if you are able to LEGALLY bring him back to the UK and provide a good home, you should try to do that. If not, try to find a good home for him in Shanghai, I do not think releasing him into the wild would be a good idea.

lizg

5 Year Member
Thanks very much for the feedback!!

"a tort does not think about heirs....not at all....that is a human thought."
...yes of course, but i meant that being endangered, it would be nice for him to be able to contribute to the future of his species ;-)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I vote for bringing him back legally, so start doing the paperwork ASAP!

Hopefully, once back, you'll be able to find fellow tort-o-philes w/ females for Bob to "romance", helping add to the Elongated tortoise population...a VERY good thing! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.