1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Elongated space

Discussion in 'Elongated and Forsten's tortoises' started by Kaden, Aug 27, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kaden

Kaden New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Texas
    Hello! I'm new to tortoise keeping and am looking into getting some elongated tortoises and was wondering how much space is needed for two, and how much is needed for a trio. Also, im aware that they can eat worms and things of that nature on occasion, and was wondering if they could eat red runner roaches as well. Thanks!
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello and welcome! I've always loved this species, but I have no experience with them as my area is no good for them.

There is no set amount of space needed. This has not been scientifically studied for any species of tortoise. If you keep them in something too small, health and behavioral issues can develop. Just go as large as you can. Since they can grow to 12" a standard 4x8' indoor enclosure over winter won't be big enough. You'll probably need to devote an entire room to a trio. Tortoises need more floor space in their enclosure than many other reptile. In summer, a large, well planted, outdoor enclosure in TX should be great for them.

I'd never keep a pair. Go with a trio or more, or just a single. Tortoises in pairs don't do well.

Here are some general tips:
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Good luck and keep us posted. I'd love to see pics and learn more about the species.
  3. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Fes, Morocco
    Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum !:)
  4. Kaden

Kaden New Member

Texas
    Ok thanks guys