Emergency fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
From a recent experience by a friend who lost his job, I am wondering if any group or club has a rescue fund if there is an emergency with a sick turtle. Perhaps a fund set aside for a one-time Vet Clinic visit and meds (with a dollar limit) for those going through a tough economic crisis. I would like some information on the protocol a group has to dispense the funds. I grit my teeth and zip my lip when I hear that a client must fill out a credit form before a Vet Dr. will treat a sick pet one time.
Yes, I know that Vets must make money....and don't give me the arguement about being able to afford to keep a pet before you get it.....circumstances change. A rescue fund would be wonderful in emergency cases.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I agree with you. There is a great vet where I live, who takes donations. When someone has a sick pet he goes to their house and if they can't pay, he will treat the pet for free, or take what ever they can afford to give him, and pay for the meds with whatever people give him for donations. I know him for a long time and many times he will pay for the meds out of his own pocket. I wish there was someone like that for exotic's, but I don't know of any.

M

Maggie Cummings

Most Vets also take in donations and use them for clients who have trouble paying. My cat Big Bubba has arthritis in his rear legs and gets injections of Adaquan for it. The small vial costs $80 and lasts about a month. Someone recently donated a vial left from his animal who died so my Vet gave the vial to me for Big Bubba. There are several groups who will help pay Vet bills but the Vets go to the group and request the help. My Vet did that very thing for me and got a group to pay $200 towards my bill. But like I said the Vet requests it, I don't know the name of the group. You would have to go thru the vet...
My Vet allows me to make monthly payments and has never refused treatment no matter how high the bill is. They have a great hospital and the drs and staff are just wonderful...

Status
Not open for further replies.