Enclosure set up

Jackdonna

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
hi guys! Im about to get my enclosure in 2 days.. it’s basically 4’ long and 2’ wide and 1.5’ tall.. any specifics on how the lighting should be? Thanks!! would appreciate if you can share photos of your enclosure.. btw these are for testudos..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Your enclosure sounds too small for everything other than the smallest hatchling

I recommend you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Testudo - written for Russians but applies to Greeks
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Bee62

Germany
I can`t understand why so many people think because a tortoise is small, the tort is happy living in a very small "enclosure", I call it prison. Torts are wild creatures and they need much space to roam around like they can do in the wild.

Jackdonna

Dubai
CB998AF4-BDFA-4EC6-AB50-CA7F6656E91E.jpeg D8A47C40-8A82-47AD-AE1A-52A8DF5617CF.jpeg
I can`t understand why so many people think because a tortoise is small, the tort is happy living in a very small "enclosure", I call it prison. Torts are wild creatures and they need much space to roam around like they can do in the wild.

I agree! If only i could get them in a bigger space i would! For now i got them in this! I could not get it any bigger until i get a new place.. hopefully they will respond well in their new home.. too bad i didn’t get what i asked for..

Bee62

Germany
View attachment 221597 View attachment 221596

I agree! If only i could get them in a bigger space i would! For now i got them in this! I could not get it any bigger until i get a new place.. hopefully they will respond well in their new home.. too bad i didn’t get what i asked for..
Sorry, I don`t want to upset you. That was not my intention.
You asked for lightning ? You will need a heat lamp and a lamp that produces UVB. How cold is it in your house at night ? Below 68 F ?
Then you will need a Ceramic heat emitter too that keeps the enclosure around 68 F at night.
At day the warmth should be 100 F under the basking spot and 80 F in colder side of the enclosure.
Do you have more questions ? Please ask them.

Jackdonna

Dubai
Sorry, I don`t want to upset you. That was not my intention.
You asked for lightning ? You will need a heat lamp and a lamp that produces UVB. How cold is it in your house at night ? Below 68 F ?
Then you will need a Ceramic heat emitter too that keeps the enclosure around 68 F at night.
At day the warmth should be 100 F under the basking spot and 80 F in colder side of the enclosure.
Do you have more questions ? Please ask them.

No not at all.. in fact i would love to get more feedback from more experienced persons as much as i can as i am limited of space and resources..i have to drive for few hours to get their supplies.. specially the heating equipments.. i used to work long hours so i get to arrange them during weekends, then i have to take them out evry other day for a quick sun bathing and soaking. ☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

Jackdonna

Dubai
No not at all.. in fact i would love to get more feedback from more experienced persons as much as i can as i am limited of space and resources..i have to drive for few hours to get their supplies.. specially the heating equipments.. i used to work long hours so i get to arrange them during weekends, then i have to take them out evry other day for a quick sun bathing and soaking. ☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

And btw, on my last remark, i wasnt refering to your reply.. i was refering to the guy who made it.. if only hindi is my second language.. even i made a drawing with specs and materials he should use..

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry to hear that it is so difficult for you to get the tortoise eqipment that you need. You cannot order these things on Amazon in your land ?
Natural sun is the best for every tortoise. Daily soaks are necessary for good hydration of the tort. Do you have accsess to fresh greens to feed ?
I own two Hermanni tortoises too. And sulcatas and redfoot tortoises.
When you want to ask me questions, please feel free to do.

Jackdonna

Dubai
I am sorry to hear that it is so difficult for you to get the tortoise eqipment that you need. You cannot order these things on Amazon in your land ?
Natural sun is the best for every tortoise. Daily soaks are necessary for good hydration of the tort. Do you have accsess to fresh greens to feed ?
I own two Hermanni tortoises too. And sulcatas and redfoot tortoises.
When you want to ask me questions, please feel free to do.

Im not sure if amazon deliver here in uae.. shops are here but i have to drive for 2hrs.. petshops are around the area but not specific to tortoises.. fresh greens yes! Im constantly changing theor diet weekly.. now im planning to go to dubai garden center to grab some greens i can grow!

And yes, whenever i have some doubts i always go in this forum.. most of the info i need are spreadout all over this forum.. i dont trust the petshops at all.. unless they own one..