Enclosure size for baby hermann

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi everyone!
My baby eastern hermann is 7 months old, and his or her enclosure is 4x2ft. Is that big enough? If yes when I need to upgrade to a bigger one?
Thanks in advance!
Natalie x

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi everyone!
My baby eastern hermann is 7 months old, and his or her enclosure is 4x2ft. Is that big enough? If yes when I need to upgrade to a bigger one?
Thanks in advance!
Natalie x
Hello!
It's a normal size enclosure for a hatchling/yearling. I would make a move when he will reach size of 4 inches - at this size rapid growth stage is probably over and he can be housed in open top enclosure. As all tortoises grow at different rate, there is no need to rush now but start planning when he reaches 3 inches - decide on space, shape (L-shaped, double-decker etc.), materials and such while targeting size of 4x8 ft.

If you can provide an outdoor space and willing to brumate him in winter then enclosure upgrade may be unnecessary at all. However, outdoor pen has to be built with a "greenhouse" zone to extend outdoor time.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah Alex has provided all the info you need here, essentially once your tortoise reaches the size he mentions, they’re going to need roughly an 8x4 foot space to roam comfortably🥰
We can talk you through some cost effective ways to do so when the time comes! Being from the uk myself, I know how unpredictable our weather is, so honestly to play it safe, I’d always have a good indoor set up👍

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone!
Thanks in advance!
Natalie x
They all grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. At 7 months they could be 20 grams or 200 grams. We need to know the size of the tortoise. Either length or weight.

In most cases, a 2x4 foot enclosures should last at least a year for a baby hermanni. For slow growers that are kept too dry and underfed, which is sadly the norm, an enclosure that size might last 3 or 4 years.

Cass89

London
Yeah Alex has provided all the info you need here, essentially once your tortoise reaches the size he mentions, they’re going to need roughly an 8x4 foot space to roam comfortably🥰
We can talk you through some cost effective ways to do so when the time comes! Being from the uk myself, I know how unpredictable our weather is, so honestly to play it safe, I’d always have a good indoor set up👍
Hi!

My hermann is probably
Hi 😊

My Hermann (Shelly) is probably approaching the size that we need to upgrade her enclosure. Also from the UK here, would you be happy to share those cost effective tips please!

Thank you

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!

My hermann is probably

Hi 😊

My Hermann (Shelly) is probably approaching the size that we need to upgrade her enclosure. Also from the UK here, would you be happy to share those cost effective tips please!

Thank you
Hello and welcome!

If you don't mind, you can start a thread in the Introductions section (or Tortoises Enclosures) and such. Tell us a bit more about Shelly - her age and size, where does she live now, post some photos. And then we'll try to sort the things out. Everyone's situation is different and a separate thread is easier to follow. This post on Reddit made by one of the forum members can give you some ideas to work with: https://www.reddit.com/r/tortoise/s/u55E8pM0Ab