Epiweb?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Anyone used Epiweb http://www.epiweb.se/introduction.htm (as an alternative to tree fern panels) in an indoor enclosure? I'm looking for a good backdrop material I can grow epiphytes on, and it sounds pretty good, but I can't find any North American distributors. Anyone used it? Anyone know who sells it outside of European distributors?

divemtt

Miami
I've used ecoweb before. It's ok. It's inert, so no natural material that breaks down. The material also does not absorb and release water. Water droplets just get caught in crevices and evaporate from there. I found root growth on it to be less successful than with wood. I found my root growth on wood slats to be more aggressive as the roots tend to attach to the wood, as they suck out the moisture that had been absorbed into the wood. Downside with wood, is that it tends to break down after a few years of heavy watering. And, if this is going in where you keep reptiles, you may want to skip the cheaper cedar baskets and pay a little more for teak. Teak also handles the high moisture better (doesn't rot as fast).
What kind of epiphytes are you looking to grow?
Ray Barkalow from firstrays.com is excellent to deal with. I have been buying orchid supplies from him for years. He is very knowledgeable. If I am not mistaken, he may have been a guest speaker at one or two orchid shows either in Toronto or Montreal.
Daryl Yerdon from kkorchid.com in NH is also great to deal with. He also stocks ecoweb.
OFE-intl.com also sells a coconut fiber roll. It has similar water retention to ecoweb, It will take a really long time to break down. And the roll form will allow you to layer a wall pretty easily. This stuff can stand up to heavy watering and tropical temps for a few years easily.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Thanks; fantastic to hear from someone that has used it. I'm looking to grow a rather diverse collection of ferns, bromeliads, and orchids - right now, I do most of my growing on wood or loose-media green wall setups, but as you say, wood doesn't last all that long, and I was thinking some of these synthetics sheets would be more convenient for a large backdrop (and without the negative environmental consequences that some of the natural alternatives have).

Coconut fiber is an alternative I actually hadn't thought of before though, so thank you for that suggestion. I've used it to wrap things, but never thought of using it as a backdrop itself. I think I'll try a few different vertical growing substrates and see how they work for my purposes.

Thanks so much. I really appreciated the reviews of the vendors too - nice to know who to go to.