"Excavator" substrate for babies/juvies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi all, I have had my pancake "babies" (almost a year old) on a tile/newspaper substrate for some time now. I want to use something that maybe makes them feel more comfortable to come out more. (something a bit more natural.) They rarely bask and hide all the time (which I think is fairly normal).

I was looking around at what people recommend for pancakes and was looking at substrates in general when I came across this "Excavator" substrate from Zoo Med. It looks like it is hard to burrow in (which we really dont care about) but looks like it might give them good footing and I could sculpt it a bit so that the terrain varies.

Has anyone used this? Good? Bad?

Thanks!
Carole

PS here is a link to the product http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?SearchID=4&DatabaseID=2&EntryID=188 I saw it in action at the Tinley show and it looks very hard to burrow in which makes me think this would work well since no burrowing is necessary.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
B K said:
I wonder how hard it is to clean.

Good question. I can't find too many references to it online... It seems that scorpion people are talking about it the most. Perhaps I will just go with the top soil/sand mix. I hate how dirty it is tho. Unless you keep it wet it is very dusty and gross in my opinion...

Thanks.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use organic substrates (potting or top soil/coconunt coir mix) for my Pancakes with no problems, including dust. I spray the substrate twice daily and fairly heavy once a week and mix it in well. I don't like sand as part of their substrate because it tends to stick to anything that has the slightest bit of moisture like the tortoises eyes, mouth and their food. Sand is also the culprit of alot of dust. Because it's naturally abrassive it creates dust when it's moved or disturbed by the granules grinding against themselves.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi , i agree with the above & my pancakes do like to dig.i have learned alot in the short time i have been a member here! good luck. lindy

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Wow, that excavator substrate is interesting. I LOVE the concept, but am naturally wary of it. Always so many unknowns with a new product. The first that comes to mind is impaction, seems like it could easily "hold its shape" inside as well. May be harmless and pass easily though. I might have to pick some up and play with it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Information directly from ZooMed ad: "Warnings: Not for use with under tank heaters (thick and/or dense substrate may cause excess heat to build-up). Avoid getting Excavator substrate on clothes or any household items as staining may occur. Place your reptile's food in a feeding dish to avoid accidental ingestion of substrate which may cause impaction."

What would concern me most is the last sentence of the company's warning. The material that they're selling is simply natural clay. Clay is nothing more than finely ground stone and minerals. The clay that ZooMed is selling as reptile substrate is the exact same clay used to make flower pots, adobe building construction and other similar uses.

While it is "organic" in the simplest definition it does not compost or break down by natural means to become digestable. So while it can be ingested, it cannot be digested, which can easily lead to impaction.

If it were me, I wouldn't consider using this product as a substrate for my tortoises or any other animal! But if I wanted to make a coffee cup for my wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.