Zoomed Tortoise Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I'd just as soon stick with REAL cactus and cuttlebone...nice try though!

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'd like to point out that cuttlebone comes from cuttlefish, which are awesome, and there's really no need for an intelligent animal to die for your tortoise.

Think of the cuttlefish. Use alternative supplements, your tortoise won't know the difference.

Byronie

5 Year Member
Chapel Hill, NC
I am going to give this a try. I have tried cuttle bone and my tort didn't touch it much. She gets a good sized pinch of calcium powder w/o D3 daily. I'm thinking of this tort block as more of a healthy treat and beak cleaner...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Ivyna J. Spyder said:
I'd like to point out that cuttlebone comes from cuttlefish, which are awesome, and there's really no need for an intelligent animal to die for your tortoise.

Think of the cuttlefish. Use alternative supplements, your tortoise won't know the difference.

Even if we stop theyres still going to carryon killing them so may aswell get our use out of them! ?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I've been using them a lot lately, and I like them. The bigger tortoises have been going through them too fast, so I'm mostly using it with smaller ones. A big sulcata could probably swallow one of these whole if it really wanted to (they're only about 4" x 2" x 2"), but on the Testudo, redfoots/cherries and leopards the idea works. Some torts use them more than others, but they've all got little wear and tear bite marks in them after a few days of being in the enclosures.

My only gripe is that some of the pieces (cactus?) inside are big, so it weakens the block's shape. I was throwing a bunch of them out and a few of them broke in half (with interior cactus being the weak point) from a small underhand toss onto dirt or grass. If the cactus and veggies were smaller or ground into part of the powder, I think the block would last a lot longer. They are cheap (few dollars) and the light green color is more pleasant than white cuttlebone that is usually brown within a few days being in an outdoor pen.

The surface of them is much "harder" than a traditional cuttlebone, so if beak trimming or wear is the goal, I think these would work much better than cuttlebone.

For the record, I've seen photos of cuttlebone washing up on the beach by the thousands (I believe it was in some Asian countries), and I'm pretty sure that is how it's harvested. I don't think they go catch and kill the fish to sell their bone for $.25 retail after shipping it to the U.S.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
TylerStewart said:
I've been using them a lot lately, and I like them. The bigger tortoises have been going through them too fast, so I'm mostly using it with smaller ones. A big sulcata could probably swallow one of these whole if it really wanted to (they're only about 4" x 2" x 2"), but on the Testudo, redfoots/cherries and leopards the idea works. Some torts use them more than others, but they've all got little wear and tear bite marks in them after a few days of being in the enclosures.

My only gripe is that some of the pieces (cactus?) inside are big, so it weakens the block's shape. I was throwing a bunch of them out and a few of them broke in half (with interior cactus being the weak point) from a small underhand toss onto dirt or grass. If the cactus and veggies were smaller or ground into part of the powder, I think the block would last a lot longer. They are cheap (few dollars) and the light green color is more pleasant than white cuttlebone that is usually brown within a few days being in an outdoor pen.

The surface of them is much "harder" than a traditional cuttlebone, so if beak trimming or wear is the goal, I think these would work much better than cuttlebone.

For the record, I've seen photos of cuttlebone washing up on the beach by the thousands (I believe it was in some Asian countries), and I'm pretty sure that is how it's harvested. I don't think they go catch and kill the fish to sell their bone for $.25 retail after shipping it to the U.S.

Thanks! I have had cuddle bones, but my tort doesn't pay it any mind. So I was looking for an alternative. I have two russians.

Do you order them online or purchase them somewhere else?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Grigor.Love. said:

Well, I bought a bunch wholesale (to sell on my site), but you can probably find them locally for a lower price than if you found a cheap one online and paid shipping on it. I don't know if they've made it to Petco/Petsmart yet, but they'll probably be there eventually.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
TylerStewart said:
Grigor.Love. said:

Well, I bought a bunch wholesale (to sell on my site), but you can probably find them locally for a lower price than if you found a cheap one online and paid shipping on it. I don't know if they've made it to Petco/Petsmart yet, but they'll probably be there eventually.

You sell them?
I haven't seen them around PetSmart or PetCo yet.
Is there any other alternative that you (or anyone else) knows of? Besides the cuddle bone.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Grigor.Love. said:
I'd like to try this product. Has anyone had any luck?

No but I posted this about acouple of days ago and found out that they had already had a thread on Tortoise Block..lol. But I think its a great idea that ZooMed made one though. It's a Calcium and vitamin block. Not sure if Spike will chew on it but it wont hurt tryin.

I can not find it at any of my local petshops but there is afew places online that you can buy them.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
our local petco and petsmart have cuttlebone but they are located in the bird suppply section. I have never got them there cause they were too expensive and were sold in packs of two only.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
oscar said:
our local petco and petsmart have cuttlebone but they are located in the bird suppply section. I have never got them there cause they were too expensive and were sold in packs of two only.

Tortoise Block and cuttlebones are 2 totally different things. Pretty much does the same thing with suppling calcium but Tortoise Block is more of a calcium and vitamin block rather that pure bone like a cuttlebone. ZooMed Turtle Bone are cuttlebones like you buy for birds. They wanted to put their name on it for the use for reptiles. There is ZooMed's Tortoise Block and then there is ZooMed's Turtle Bone.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
I've used it my tort wouldn't eat it so I broke it up coz I thought she might eat it in small chunks mixed with her other food and she didn't

jaden21

5 Year Member
Im gonna try to find it at the next reptile show. No stores around me sell it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm here at the TTPG conference and the owner of ZooMed is here along with several ZooMed employees. The are a sponsor of the conference and have given out some goody bags. The new tortoise blocks are one of the goodies. I'll be trying them when I get home. We actually discussed them with the ZooMed folks during the course of the discussion yesterday, and it seems like another well thought out and researched product from these guys.

... how come more of you don't come to these things? I have found no better source for learning about tortoises. No offense to TFO, but the room full of people here is awesome. Richard Fife showed us his trip to Ethiopia and the giant Leopards that live there, Jerry Fife showed us all the details of his recent Galopagos hatchlings, we've had two presentations on the four tortoises of Madagascar, plus and extra "Pyxis Summit". Did you know there are an estimated 6.5 million radiateds left in the wild? I didn't. Today we will here from Tomas Dlange from Senegal, who run a sulcata research center there. Apparently, sulcatas are near extinction in the wild. Hey, I know where they can find some replacements...

Anyhow there is a ton more too and its all good info. More later...

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
WOW!! thanks for sharing that with us, Tom :). I would love to go too if it was near me.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
... how come more of you don't come to these things? I have found no better source for learning about tortoises. No offense to TFO, but the room full of people here is awesome. Richard Fife showed us his trip to Ethiopia and the giant Leopards that live there, Jerry Fife showed us all the details of his recent Galopagos hatchlings, we've had two presentations on the four tortoises of Madagascar, plus and extra "Pyxis Summit". Did you know there are an estimated 6.5 million radiateds left in the wild? I didn't. Today we will here from Tomas Dlange from Senegal, who run a sulcata research center there. Apparently, sulcatas are near extinction in the wild. Hey, I know where they can find some replacements...

Wish I could have gone, I'm really bummed. But it was good to meet up with you guys.

I really hope they keep it in AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.