Zoomed Tortoise Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington DE
The Tortoise Block they sell around me is actually cuttlefish bone. This one I have never seen before. Might have to keep an eye out for it though.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
phantoms said:
The Tortoise Block they sell around me is actually cuttlefish bone. This one I have never seen before. Might have to keep an eye out for it though.

I seen the cuttlebone for turtles and tortoises but not the true Tortoise Block yet. There is a big difference between the 2. Both serve as chew sources. Only the cuttlebone is 100% natural bone. While Tortoise Block is a calcium and vitamin block made up of all sorts of things. So what you see for sale around you is probley Zoo Med's Turtle Bone but still a must need calcium source for turtles and torts.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I make my own blocks - calcium carbonate and water - and a mold. Mine love 'em.

For the sulcata tortoises the mix can be stiffened with one part plaster of paris to two part calcium carbonate and poured into a mold container like a one gallon plastic bucket, to cure.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
bfmorris said:
yagyujubei said:
I make my own blocks - calcium carbonate and water - and a mold. Mine love 'em.

For the sulcata tortoises the mix can be stiffened with one part plaster of paris to two part calcium carbonate and poured into a mold container like a one gallon plastic bucket, to cure.

With your giant sulcata's, I hardly think the Tortoise Block would be even worth adding...lol. They would probley swallow it whole. So is that what you use for your giants, homemade calcium blocks the size of bricks? I think ZooMeds Tortoise Block would be more for young torts or or for the smaller species.

DolanKoops said:
I've used it my tort wouldn't eat it so I broke it up coz I thought she might eat it in small chunks mixed with her other food and she didn't

It was meant to be used of a chew/supplement. The main purpose is for trimming with the added calcium and vitamins. If you are going to break it up, why not just use a powder supplement instead? I dont they will just run over to it as soon as you put it into their enclosure. Would really have to leave it in there and they might chew on it when they feel the need. Kinda like the one that bird owners have done with their blocks. Yeah the Tortoise Block is pretty much like those calcium/vitamin block they use for parrots for beek trimming.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
phantoms said:

I seen the cuttlebone for turtles and tortoises but not the true Tortoise Block yet. There is a big difference between the 2. Both serve as chew sources. Only the cuttlebone is 100% natural bone. While Tortoise Block is a calcium and vitamin block made up of all sorts of things. So what you see for sale around you is probley Zoo Med's Turtle Bone but still a must need calcium source for turtles and torts.

Thanks for the correction. That's exactly what it is. I made an error on the name of it. It is in fact Turtle Bone sold for $1.99 for 2 in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.