Exploded bulb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
What brand is the MVB? And is the lamp holder suitable for a 160W bulb?

It's a possibility that the bulbs are from a dud batch.

712mt

It's an exo terra solar glow
I took first one back to shop thinking that - they eyed me suspiciously saying this has never happened b4
-luckily replaced it but this is gonna get expensive
1st bulb lasted a week being on 12 hours a day
2nd - 2days

712mt

The bulb holder came with the tortoise table and was working fine

712mt

I think you need to check that it's actually suitable for that type of bulb. It wouldn't be the first time a pet store has sold a package that's not suitable.

And get the next bulb from somewhere else.
Am I just unlucky! Or am I doing something wrong
will try a new holder and a different place
Is it better to have separate bulbs?
B4 I had the table he was in a vivarium with no prob with bulbs

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
An MVB is fine, but it gets very hot and the holder needs to be a Ceramic one that can cope with the high wattage.

I have never heard of the bulbs exploding before.

712mt

An MVB is fine, but it gets very hot and the holder needs to be a Ceramic one that can cope with the high wattage.

I have never heard of the bulbs exploding before.
Was scary!! Bits of bulb all across room

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Are you plugged direct into the wall? Or into a power strip? I would go through a power strip in case your getting surges for some reason. Exploding tho i would think it's a manufacture thing

Kyle

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'd immediately want to double check what wattage your fixture is rated for. Not all fixtures can support all bulbs.

712mt

Are you plugged direct into the wall? Or into a power strip? I would go through a power strip in case your getting surges for some reason. Exploding tho i would think it's a manufacture thing

Kyle
Was directly into the wall

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Has water touched the bulb(s) in any way while they were on? Like, changing a water dish and it splashed? That's the only time I've ever seen bulbs explode.

712mt

Nope nothing on inside
Says e27
F51S
250v on bottom on outside
Has water touched the bulb(s) in any way while they were on? Like, changing a water dish and it splashed? That's the only time I've ever seen bulbs explode.
ive heard that but no it's in corner of the room - not near anything and with water dish at other end of table

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Check the watt capacity of the holder. Dont screw the bulb in tight, doing this can take out the spring in the copper contact in the bottom of the bulb holder when it gets hot, then it can ark across the gap to to the solder on the bulb and blow the bulb. It may be a faulty holder that has the copper strip flattened or it may be you tightening the bulb too much
If you've tightened it too much, with the power off you can prize the copper contacted back up.
Does the solder on the bottom of the blown bulb look burnt and with a dint where it's melted the solder.
Then again I may be wrong :D

712mt

Check the watt capacity of the holder. Dont screw the bulb in tight, doing this can take out the spring in the copper contact in the bottom of the bulb holder when it gets hot, then it can ark across the gap to to the solder on the bulb and blow the bulb. It may be a faulty holder that has the copper strip flattened or it may be you tightening the bulb too much
If you've tightened it too much, with the power off you can prize the copper contacted back up.
Does the solder on the bottom of the blown bulb look burnt and with a dint where it's melted the solder.
Then again I may be wrong :D
No doesn't look burnt or damaged in any way just the bulb