Exploding Basking Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Have any of you had a basking light explode? Thankfully my BF was home at the time to clean the glass off poor Dante and pick up the pieces! The little guy was terrified but had quick reflexes and hid in his shell.

It's the store brand from petco I think: "all living things". When my BF told me a bulb exploded I assumed it was the MVB....it was surprising that it was the basking bulb! There were no power surges or anything...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1371137044489.jpg
    1371137044489.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1371137054618.jpg
    1371137054618.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 30

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
so the bulb are switch off and it still could explode? yep smells like a horror movie to me

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you have it in a proper ceramic socket with the right amp/wattage rating for the bulb? Also, the proper ventilated reflector, if it had one.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Yup! Same zoo med sockets that ive used for the last 1-2 years. Never had a problem...I dont think ive used this brand before, but its been installed for at least a couple months.

Maybe it was a faulty bulb...I was wondering if anyone using this brand has had an issue.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Boy that would be frightening! Did he change the substrate? I have seen bulbs get broke before (not the same way though) and their could be shards that you couldn't even see with that substrate.....you know the splinter sized ones. I would just be scared he might get cut up on them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've never had a bulb explode before. That's strange. I always use the lowest wattage needed though if that makes a difference. I don't think I've ever used a wattage over 100 tops.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Yes, we changed the substrate!

This was either 75 or 100 watt. I forget which, but my house was so cold this winter the regular 60 watt wasn't doing the job. I was about to switch back....apparently the bulb thought I was taking too long!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
We're you using a 100w bulb in a fixture that only supports 75 watts? All Living Things is PetSmarts store brand, and they are not of the highest quality. I stick too Zoo Med for all my lighting.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

lkwagner

5 Year Member
My UVB bulb exploded from petco, but it was my fault. I was spraying the enclosure with water and accidentally got a little on the bulb and it exploded into a million pieces. Just a couple days after I bought it lol

WillTort2

5 Year Member
As mentioned above dump and replace the substrate. Glass shards could be dangerous.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Bulbs will explode when they either get wet, kept in a humid environment, or are exposed to rapid temperature change......

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Exploding Basking Light

lkwagner said:
My UVB bulb exploded from petco, but it was my fault. I was spraying the enclosure with water and accidentally got a little on the bulb and it exploded into a million pieces. Just a couple days after I bought it lol

Oh hmmm I wonder if my BF was misting the enclosure when it happened! It looked wet like he may have been doing so... I didn't realize they can explode like that if they get wet. I'm going to be paranoid whenever I mist now!

Status
Not open for further replies.