Extremely worried

Thebubster

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Myers
I've had bubby ( a little male russian) for a year and a half now and I've only seen him drink water once and never again idk if that's helpful at all. He also randomly doesn't eat for a few days but it only lasts about 4 days this time it's been about 7 days he hasn't pooped either only urates i've been soaking him every day to every other day for 15-30mins. He has no intrest in the food whatsoever I love him so very much i'm scared somethings wrong even though I've been told it's ok for them to do this he acts just like his normal little self just no eating. Any help would be fantastic.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Hey!
I’m not sure when someone knowledgeable will be able to reply to you, but to make things smoother, you should start by sharing more information about Bubby and her enclosure!
Photos of your set-up and lamps would help, type of bulbs, temperature/humidity readings, diet, Bubby’s age... etc.
This info will help the experts on here get to the bottom of things.
Good luck :)

Thebubster

Fort Myers
I don't know how to edit a text but bubby is around 7 years old I believe I have a UV bulb that is on for about 12-14 hours a day as well as night heat lamp it's usually around 80degrees in there humidity is about 50 , he likes romaine a lot but i've been giving him lambs lettuce, water cress, dandelion greens, and the occasional flower.
i cannot upload photos currently all i want is for someone to help me

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't know how to edit a text but bubby is around 7 years old I believe I have a UV bulb that is on for about 12-14 hours a day as well as night heat lamp it's usually around 80degrees in there humidity is about 50 , he likes romaine a lot but i've been giving him lambs lettuce, water cress, dandelion greens, and the occasional flower.
i cannot upload photos currently all i want is for someone to help me
Be patient...but please understand, it's irritating I know to have different members saying pictures, how's he set up...and all the questions, BUT...we need to know certain things in order to help figure out whats wrong. At the bottom of your post before you hit enter, there's a paper clip looking thing and you take pictures and hit attach files and there ya go. But if you are using a Smart phone I dunna know...how does he get UVB?

Thebubster

Fort Myers
Be patient...but please understand, it's irritating I know to have different members saying pictures, how's he set up...and all the questions, BUT...we need to know certain things in order to help figure out whats wrong. At the bottom of your post before you hit enter, there's a paper clip looking thing and you take pictures and hit attach files and there ya go. But if you are using a Smart phone I dunna know...how does he get UVB?
i probably got my wording wrong or i stated the wrong kind but its UVB/UVA if that's correct I know it has uvb I also give him calcium and multivitamin 1-3 times a week.

Attachments

• 20200913_120503.jpg
    20200913_120503.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
i probably got my wording wrong or i stated the wrong kind but its UVB/UVA if that's correct I know it has uvb I also give him calcium and multivitamin 1-3 times a week.
Your tort is not getting any UVB if that light is sitting on a screen. Hay is dry so he's not getting any humidity at all. I realize it's noon in Florida, but just 9:30 on the West Coast and your Sulcata experts are eating breakfast still

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Look like your temp was 80 and your humidity was 60 which for a Russian that might be correct I'm not sure what their set up info is

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your enclosure needs changing. The way you have your tortoise makes the tortoise want to hide and wait for the proper conditions. In the wild when things are dry, grasses dry, lighting low, they know it is time to hibernate or aestivate. They are active in the season when grasses are growing, weeds are plentiful, and the sun is high in the sky. Most all enclosures I see, in my opinion are kept way too dark to stimulate good activity and tortoise health. Also way too dry and barren. A tortoise always seeks out areas that have plant cover in which it can hide and find moisture. In an enclosure without plant cover - preferably growing plants - they will constantly be trying to find a better place and be under low grade stress.

Please read through the care sheet here. If you follow it, your tortoise will act much differently. After studying the care sheet come back with any questions.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
If he’s 7 years old and you’ve had him over a year (?) I can’t scroll up on my phone to your original post, but do you have an outdoor space for him? Also see through glass can stress a tortoise out. When mine were babies I covered the sides with dark paper.

Thebubster

Fort Myers
If he’s 7 years old and you’ve had him over a year (?) I can’t scroll up on my phone to your original post, but do you have an outdoor space for him? Also see through glass can stress a tortoise out. When mine were babies I covered the sides with dark paper.
it's really just a guess based on his size i have not had him since he hatched i got him at petco but because of local wildlife it's probably not the best idea imo

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
it's really just a guess based on his size i have not had him since he hatched i got him at petco but because of local wildlife it's probably not the best idea imo

An enclosed area outside with a lid would keep animals away. Or can you take him out and watch him and how he behaves outdoors? It could help, or not.

Thebubster

Fort Myers
An enclosed area outside with a lid would keep animals away. Or can you take him out and watch him and how he behaves outdoors? It could help, or not.
yea theres pesticides on the grass and we dont have like a porch really if i rinse him off really good and make sure he doesn't eat anything would that be ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yea theres pesticides on the grass and we dont have like a porch really if i rinse him off really good and make sure he doesn't eat anything would that be ok?
Make him a safe secure enclosure. Everyone everywhere in the whole country has predators about. Stop spraying poison on your yard. That is not good for you, your tortoise, the environment and its especially bad for all the beneficial insects that we all need.

All the correct care info is in the care sheet that Mark linked for you.

Thebubster

Fort Myers
Make him a safe secure enclosure. Everyone everywhere in the whole country has predators about. Stop spraying poison on your yard. That is not good for you, your tortoise, the environment and its especially bad for all the beneficial insects that we all need.

All the correct care info is in the care sheet that Mark linked for you.
[/QUOTE
It's not up to me it's my parents and the HOA's choice i've said something but my mother has such an aversion to bugs it's unlikley they'll stop

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Because they’re so danged cute that you are obsessed?
My Sulcata are not 'cute' by any means. lol I don't know that I'm obsessed, but they are my species of choice, my interest is focused with larger tortoises and their behavior and how to protect ourselves against the damage they can do. When the word tortoise comes up, I generally do think of Sulcata
This is the newly crowned Miss Mary Knobbins...
100_4179.JPG

And weighing in at 53 lbs is king of the outside pen we have Big Sam Cummings
100_4127.JPG
sometimes I crack myself up,

oh hell, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
Moderators, can somebody move this to the Sulcata threads please