Eye infection

hamza2192

Location (City and/or State)
Morocco
My pet tortoise suddenly got a eye Infection his eye is swolen shut and he always sleeps and doesnt want to eat.
There aren't any vets near me and I can't buy things because they are too expensive to get tl my city. Can I use human eye drops for him?

Attachments

• 17167347801347864680669869884079.jpg
    17167347801347864680669869884079.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It is cmmon for tortoises stop eating and their condition to worsen once their eyes are swollen. Once you treat the eye problem you should see improvements in his eating. It sure doesn't seem like a typical eye infection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That eye isn't swollen shut, it looks more like a terribly dehydrated eye. How often do you soak this tortoise and is there available water in the enclosure?

zovick

10 Year Member!
My pet tortoise suddenly got a eye Infection his eye is swolen shut and he always sleeps and doesnt want to eat.
There aren't any vets near me and I can't buy things because they are too expensive to get tl my city. Can I use human eye drops for him?
I hate say this, but your tortoise appears to be near death. You need to soak it in lukewarm water for about 30 minutes a couple of times daily for a week or so, then once a day for several months or more.

I agree with Yvonne that the eye is not infected or swollen but sunken into the socket from a lack of water and possibly food as well.

I wouldn't worry about using eye drops on the tortoise. I would try to get the eye open by rehydrating the tortoise and getting it to eat. When was the last time you saw it eat anything?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What kind of enclosure is your tortoise in, looking at the picture second time I think it might be one of those slow cook situations. Too low humidity, not enough soaking, inappropriate water dish or too hot. Or a combination. Your tortoise will need some re-hydration and permanent changes to his care.