Eye Issues?

Sheebz

Location (City and/or State)
Cullman, AL
I have noticed my tort having one eye closed and being slow to open them both.There is a little bit of whitish discharge on both eyes. Anyone have any ideas for causes or treatments? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have noticed my tort having one eye closed and being slow to open them both.There is a little bit of whitish discharge on both eyes. Anyone have any ideas for causes or treatments? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. :)
Hi there. Do you have any photos of your tort. Is s/he an erosa or a homeana hingeback. I'll tag some of the more experienced tort keepers in so you get noticed. You may have been better starting this thread under the tortoise health section. Not many go on this section.

Bye
@tortadise @Jacqui @Yvonne G @jaizei

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
First we need t find out what could be causing this. Treatment could be a number of things from enclosure, temperatures, and something irritating it, like substrate. First let's find out what species of Hingeback it is. Then we will need to see your enclosure(with size) and temperatures in which it is kept day/night also humidity. Could you provide a photo of the animal and it's eye?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like was said, we need more information on the animal and it's environment. My guesses are going to be 1) the substrate: the type or how moist/dry it is. 2) Humidity or rather the lack of it. 3) The lights, if you are using any.

Sheebz

Cullman, AL
Plantation style substrate, Home's Hingeback, I am only able to keep it at 50% humidity which is low but it is currently the best of my ability, day temps are often 75-80 night temps about 70. 1 heat lamp. I think about a 40 gallon tank. I know a lot of this is probably wrong but she was an impulse buy and the pet store associate had no idea about the tort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're using a light like this:

CFL.jpg

turn it off immediately. Those light damage the tortoise's eyes.

Not having the environment humid enough is also a big cause of stuck shut eyes. Work harder at getting it up where it belongs. You may have to cover the habitat. And pour more water over the substrate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Plantation style substrate, Home's Hingeback, I am only able to keep it at 50% humidity which is low but it is currently the best of my ability, day temps are often 75-80 night temps about 70. 1 heat lamp. I think about a 40 gallon tank. I know a lot of this is probably wrong but she was an impulse buy and the pet store associate had no idea about the tort
Do you have a photo of your enclosure so you can receive some advice on what's best. I have 6 homes hingebacks. Love them. Have you fed any worms/slugs or snails yet. Do you have a water hole s/he can bathe in. A cat litter tray would do.

Sheebz

Cullman, AL
I have a bowl that seems to be big enough. She really has't been getting in it lately. I don't have a coil bulb. I have tried mealworms and earthworms but rejection on both. I will have to post picture a bit later as phone is rather glitchy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Try not using a light and see what happens. Are you soaking her or just letting her self soak? How deep is the water in the dish? 40 gallon breeder tank?

Sheebz

Cullman, AL
Ok, going without a light today.... she used to soak by herself and now she has quit completely. I put her in there myself yesterday and she drank a lot of water and then quickly scrambled out like it was lava. The dish itself is actually a dog bowl that she can easily climb in and out of. I fill the water to about the bottom to middle of her head when it is in the shell. I do believe that the tank is a breeder on how it is long bit not very tall which is great for my height. I have been trying to fix humidity and am currently scratching my head for new options..... I have the top covered with small hand towels (carefully away from the heat lamp) spray constantly (but not on her, she doesn't seem to like it) and have moss all over the tank. She seems to go through periods where she will eat a lot and then not eat at all. Her activity levels have dropped (not that she was that very active to begin with...) and she has quit eating again.I plan on changing her substrate soon to Coco bark but maybe mix in just a bit of the Plantation to maybe fix a substrate irritation. As far as her having a hiding place, we purchased a sort of basket tunnel I put in the corner but it is not currently there due to a mildew issue and we are currently working on making a better more natural hide. She has a cuttlebone but shows NO interest. I have tried giving her some forms of protein like mealworms, earthworms, shrimp,tuna, but all are also refused. Strawberries, banana, and carrot used to bring her running but even those aren't doing anything.There are some things I ma working on changing but as I am 14 and money is tight, there isn't much I can do right now, just having to make a checklist and work through....

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Try papaya, figs, any expensive ripe fruits, as well as high-end mushrooms, maybe microwaved a little for the smell.
Bathe twice a day if you can for at least 20 minutes. The humidity sounds like the main problem here, so the towels are a good idea.
Also, if you can get dry leaves, add them into the enclosure, it will make her more comfortable.
Can you get some more pictures please?

Sheebz

Cullman, AL
Will try to post pictures ASAP. Any specific leaves that are a no-no? Any preferences? I also believe part of the eye issue is substrate b/c as soon as I soaked her (which she hates:( ) her eyes opened up better. As far as food, currently trying white mushrooms, strawberry tops, avocado, and a bit of sweet potato.

Sheebz

Cullman, AL
Could I possibly pluck them green and put them in or do you think tort would eat it? And thank you so much for the link!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Could I possibly pluck them green and put them in or do you think tort would eat it? And thank you so much for the link!
Some leaves can be toxic when green so I only use dried out leaves. Like flintus I just pick up a bunch of dead leaves. I find areas where dogs won't have walked just in case of dog poop. Luckily dead leaves blow into the corner of my garden. I also put dried tree bark on the floor of my enclosure to act like the forest floor. My substrate is coco and 6" deep.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You could pick green leaves and store them until they are dried out. Get a cycle going.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Without double checking, my memory says no to feeding avocados.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have you tried canteloupe? Even a bit of watermelon?

Remember really ripe fruit is liked more then barely ripe.