eye problem, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadieratliff

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello everyone... I've been reading posts and gotten great ideas from this site for the last month or so... Thanks to all... This is a great site...

What I have: A baby sulcata. Born early Feb (according to pet shop). She has a healthy appetite. 150gallon tank with water dish, a heat lamp and a uvb lamp. Temp is ~90-100 with both lights on during day and drops to ~80 at night with heat lamp off. She also has a fenced area outside that she roams when possible during nice weather.

The problem: Today I have noticed that something is wrong with one of her eyes. It looks like her eye lid is not opening. It does not appear to be "infected" (ie. no redness or swelling). She is outside roaming and eating fine so I don't think it hurts her. Anyone have any idea what this may be and what I can do to help?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
What type of substrate are you using and can you post a pic of her eye?

sadieratliff

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Substrate is 1/2 alfalfa hay (not shredded) and 1/2 some type of white "snowy" looking stuff. It may be paper/styrofoam, I am not sure. I do not remember the name, it was recommended by pet shop when I purchased her. I am at work now, but will post a picture first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Not sure what that substrate is, but I think I would change it. A good substrate for a sulcata is 50/50 organic soil/playsand mixture or a shredded aspen. My little sulcata loves digging in the aspen. As far as the eye goes, post a pic. Maybe use an opthomologic antibiotic ointment. But I am not an expert, maybe someone else will chime in. You can rinse it with saline though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would bet that the problem is that the tortoise is being kept in too dry conditions. If you put the little guy in a small bowl of water for a few minutes does the eye open?

Get rid of that alfalfa hay and DEFFINITELY get rid of that "white stuff." You can try either a mixture of 50/50 playsand/coconut coir (called Bed-A-Beast at the pet store), or half the aquarium any kind of clean soil and the other half shredded aspen, with the soil kept slightly damp, or cypress mulch, or orchid bark.

You want to be able to provide a slightly humid place for the tortoise. They do come from the desert, but down in their burrow, the soil isn't totally dry. They poop and pee in there and its a little humid for them. When a little tortoise is being kept too dry, you first notice it in their eyes, next they start to blow bubbles from their nose. Change the substrate and you will notice a difference.

Then you can start working on getting him out of that aquarium!

Yvonne

and, P.S....you really can't trust what many of the pet shop clerks tell you. Number one, they want to sell you stuff, and number two, most of them don't know what they are talking about.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree with the to dry conditions. I had my torts on bed beast dry and when I added the cypress mulch lightly dampened. What a difference. I have my baby sulcata's on it too. They also have timothy hay in there as well as thier hide and they seem to love it.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use a plastic container and attached a sponge to the top and wet it twice a day and place it under the light, that is where mine sleep. Also do you have a cold side and a hot side?? I would do what Yvonne said with have soil and then have aspen, mine don't like the soil they stay on the aspen but it does provide humidity.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use Bermuda Grass as a substrate for my Sulcatas.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is it possible that he scratched his eye? Is it swollen or bigger than the other eye?

David

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What are you using for a UVB light? Some have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems.
Patsy

sadieratliff

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you very much for all the replies. Sorry for my delayed reply, my internet service has been having major issues the past week. I believe that you all are correct, it was the dryness. I have replaced all substrate with shredded aspen and a moist organic soil. I am soaking her for 3-5min every other day and she has shown remarkable improvement. Again, thank you all SOOOOO much for the help. This forum is a life saver for nervous "newbie" moms like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.