Eye wont open

Location (City and/or State)
America
Hi, i have a redfoot tort around the age of 12 and this morning i noticed her right eye was closed. I dabbed some water on her eyelid and then it opened. It doesnt look swollen, what should i do. When i got home it was like that too. Could it be from water getting in her eyes during soaks?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, i have a redfoot tort around the age of 12 and this morning i noticed her right eye was closed. I dabbed some water on her eyelid and then it opened. It doesnt look swollen, what should i do. When i got home it was like that too. Could it be from water getting in her eyes during soaks?
I wouldn't think it's the water.
What substrate are you using?

Can you please post pics of the tort, the eye, the enclosure and lamps etc so members with more medical knowledge can see what you mean and if there's anything that could be affecting the eye?

America
I wouldn't think it's the water.
What substrate are you using?

Can you please post pics of the tort, the eye, the enclosure and lamps etc so members with more medical knowledge can see what you mean and if there's anything that could be affecting the eye?
I know red foots should not have artificial grass in their enclosures but for a temporary fix that is what i have been using. She is a rescue toward that has not lived with humidity her whole life that I recently got I’m getting substrate in very soon. I cannot send pictures right now but I do use a day long UVB bulb and a heater at night

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You're right fake grass shouldn't be used for any tort, it can harbour bacteria and isn't a natural surface for them also if they try to nibble it it can cause problems in the gut.
Hopefully the humidity is something you have been trying to fix because I believe RF need humid conditions. What are the 4 temps in his enclosure?
What sort of uvb bulb and night heat do you have e.g. MVB, coiled, cfl tube?
The type of bulb can affect tort eyes- I don't keep RF but I believe they don't like it too bright. If you can't send photos of them can you copy and paste pics of similar bulbs off the internet?
Hopefully you can post some pics of your tort and his living conditions soon so that you can get the help you need - it could be something simple to correct that will save you money on vets fees.
I'll tag @ZEROPILOT who'll be able to tell you more about care.

America
You're right fake grass shouldn't be used for any tort, it can harbour bacteria and isn't a natural surface for them also if they try to nibble it it can cause problems in the gut.
Hopefully the humidity is something you have been trying to fix because I believe RF need humid conditions. What are the 4 temps in his enclosure?
What sort of uvb bulb and night heat do you have e.g. MVB, coiled, cfl tube?
The type of bulb can affect tort eyes- I don't keep RF but I believe they don't like it too bright. If you can't send photos of them can you copy and paste pics of similar bulbs off the internet?
Hopefully you can post some pics of your tort and his living conditions soon so that you can get the help you need - it could be something simple to correct that will save you money on vets fees.
I'll tag @ZEROPILOT who'll be able to tell you more about care.
I have already spoken with zero pilot and am getting everything they have recommended! And yes, i am working on the humidity. The substrate is still in the mail ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have already spoken with zero pilot and am getting everything they have recommended! And yes, i am working on the humidity. The substrate is still in the mail ?
Good.
I spent the afternoon at the eye doctor.
I can't see or read very well.

America
Good.
I spent the afternoon at the eye doctor.
I can't see or read very well.
What a coincidence haha. Hope it gets better for you. If the substrate doesnt deliver i will more than likely go get it and everything else you suggested this weekend. Also, can you link or name an exact light and wattage i can use for her? Like the brand? Also should i get fine orchid bark or medium?