Eyes always closed

blakespinks85

Location (City and/or State)
Commerce
My leopard tort seems to always keep its eyes closed. Today I shut off the zoo med 5.0 uvb t5 ho, but kept the basking light on. With it being the 5.0 it says it should be within 12 inches. Depending on the altitude of the substrate its between 6 and 10 inches. Could that be hurting my baby's eyes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My leopard tort seems to always keep its eyes closed. Today I shut off the zoo med 5.0 uvb t5 ho, but kept the basking light on. With it being the 5.0 it says it should be within 12 inches. Depending on the altitude of the substrate its between 6 and 10 inches. Could that be hurting my baby's eyes?
Yes. The HO tubes make strong UV. I've never measured the 5.0 types, but 6 inches is too close. Only a UV meter can really verify this.

blakespinks85

Commerce
Yes. The HO tubes make strong UV. I've never measured the 5.0 types, but 6 inches is too close. Only a UV meter can really verify this.
What should the uv level read and should my uv light run the length of the house or the width on the basking side?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What should the uv level read and should my uv light run the length of the house or the width on the basking side?
It can run any way you like it. I'd position it to best light up the whole enclosure.

On a Solarmeter 6.5, you want a reading around 3-4 for a UV light that will be on all day. There needs to be several hiding areas for the tortoise to get out of this light when it wants to.

blakespinks85

Commerce
It can run any way you like it. I'd position it to best light up the whole enclosure.

On a Solarmeter 6.5, you want a reading around 3-4 for a UV light that will be on all day. There needs to be several hiding areas for the tortoise to get out of this light when it wants to.
I have it running the length and 3 hides, 2 with spag moss for humidity. Thanks for all your help. You seem to respond pretty regularly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have it running the length and 3 hides, 2 with spag moss for humidity. Thanks for all your help. You seem to respond pretty regularly.
You are welcome.

I'd get rid of the moss. It doesn't do anything and they all try to eat it. It can cause an impaction. Wetting the substrate under the hide does the same thing as the moss and poses no risk to your tortoise.

blakespinks85

Commerce
You are welcome.

I'd get rid of the moss. It doesn't do anything and they all try to eat it. It can cause an impaction. Wetting the substrate under the hide does the same thing as the moss and poses no risk to your tortoise.
Crap. Alright, will do. That might explain why it doesnt seem to eat very much