Face Planting

Etania Cheng

Location (City and/or State)
Socal
Why do tortoises face plant? My little guy, Bean, occasionally does this and I haven't seen much discussion on this and I worry just a bit that when he face plants, some dirt gets in his eye so and so whenever I see him about to face plant, I hold my hand out so that he (or she i dont know yet) doesn't directly face plant into the dirt.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Why do tortoises face plant? My little guy, Bean, occasionally does this and I haven't seen much discussion on this and I worry just a bit that when he face plants, some dirt gets in his eye so and so whenever I see him about to face plant, I hold my hand out so that he (or she i dont know yet) doesn't directly face plant into the dirt.
I'm not familiar with this behavior. Is there anyway you can demonstrate with a video?

Etania Cheng

Socal
I'm not familiar with this behavior. Is there anyway you can demonstrate with a video?
I don't really have a video, but it's when tortoises would go on their log (for example) and tilt off the edge and fall into their substrate, usually directly on their face.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't really have a video, but it's when tortoises would go on their log (for example) and tilt off the edge and fall into their substrate, usually directly on their face.
Ok I understand the term now.
I would be concerned about him ending up on his back and becoming stuck.. Some torts do this for the "thrill". I provide my tort with a ramp to climb up and down on. He always looks like he is trying to build up as much speed as he can going down hill.
Others may be able to give a more technical reason for the behavior.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok I understand the term now.
I would be concerned about him ending up on his back and becoming stuck.. Some torts do this for the "thrill". I provide my tort with a ramp to climb up and down on. He always looks like he is trying to build up as much speed as he can going down hill.
Others may be able to give a more technical reason for the behavior.

technically, they do this as their own particular version of kamikaze pilots.
Honestly, I cannot see this being deliberate behaviour, and it is dangerous due to the likelihood of being stuck on their backs.