Itching Face ?

Holly.thompson

Location (City and/or State)
South Yorkshire, England
Hey all! My gorgeous Sheldon is a Hermann and is only 15 month old. Today I noticed Sheldon pulling his head into his shell and rubbing his face up on to his arm. He seams to have done this multiple times and on both sides of his face.
As I say, it’s only today I’ve noticed and maybe he’s just having an itch?Just thought I’d post it on here and see if anyone had any suggestions of what it might be or can confirm if I’m just overthinking it.
Many thanks ☺️

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Have you changed his substrate or anything in his enclosure recently that could have caused this response from him? My suggestion would be to give him a good soak and see if that helps whatever is irritating him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Holly.
Is it his face or his eyes he's rubbing?
If it's his eyes it could be your lamps causing problems.
What sort are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all! My gorgeous Sheldon is a Hermann and is only 15 month old. Today I noticed Sheldon pulling his head into his shell and rubbing his face up on to his arm. He seams to have done this multiple times and on both sides of his face.
As I say, it’s only today I’ve noticed and maybe he’s just having an itch?Just thought I’d post it on here and see if anyone had any suggestions of what it might be or can confirm if I’m just overthinking it.
Many thanks ☺
What type of UV bulb ae you using?
What type of substrate and how damp?

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
Have you changed his substrate or anything in his enclosure recently that could have caused this response from him? My suggestion would be to give him a good soak and see if that helps whatever is irritating him.

No new substrate. I use bedding wood in some areas and Mediterranean tortoise sand in others. I’ll try giving him a warm soak . Thank you ☺️

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
What type of UV bulb ae you using?
What type of substrate and how damp?

I use a ceramic Reflector lamp at 250W given to me by the shop I bought him from. I use bedding wood in some areas and Mediterranean tortoise sand in others. he also has a bowel of warm water which I replace with fresh twice a day

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
Hi Holly.
Is it his face or his eyes he's rubbing?
If it's his eyes it could be your lamps causing problems.
What sort are you using?

Yes, it could be his eyes. I use a ceramic Reflector lamp at 250W and 20cm that I got from the pet shop when I bought hi. Is that the right lamp?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, it could be his eyes. I use a ceramic Reflector lamp at 250W and 20cm that I got from the pet shop when I bought hi. Is that the right lamp?
Is that a UVB lamp?
If you post some pics of it, and his enclosure members will be able to tell you if it's safe.
Sadly pet shop owners don't always give correct or up to date information about equipment and often profit comes before care which is why this forum is such a great place to check the suitability of it and usually saves us money in vets fees too.
You'll know more when you post the pics.

Sand is also not safe for torts, it can irritate the skin and eyes and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal. So you need to change the substrate asap
Here is the most up to date caresheet which will help you

Last edited:

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
Is that a UVB lamp?
If you post some pics of it, and his enclosure members will be able to tell you if it's safe.
Sadly pet shop owners don't always give correct or up to date information about equipment and often profit comes care which is why this forum is such a great place to check the suitability of it and usually saves us money too.
You'll know more when you post the pics.

Yes of course. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I just want the best for Sheldon ☺️

Attachments

• 582725C2-2CC3-4B46-806D-401D4043179A.jpeg
    582725C2-2CC3-4B46-806D-401D4043179A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 19E9405F-BC6A-4A50-9359-AF6BCC15FF81.jpeg
    19E9405F-BC6A-4A50-9359-AF6BCC15FF81.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks but what sort of bulb is in the fitting? That is what we need a pic of.

I added this as an edit but you may not be able to see it
Sand is also not safe for torts, it can irritate the skin and eyes and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal. So you need to change the substrate asap
Here is the most up to date caresheet which will help you with all aspects of care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There's a few other things I can see from you pic. which are common mistakes we all make.

The enclosure looks pretty dry so change to the recommended substrate . The caresheet may even recommend using a large viv while he is small.
The thermometer you have is not a reliable sort and is too high up. Most of us use a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe which can be placed at tort level. A digital temp gun is also great to have as you can spot check temps in different areas.
Hard to tell from the pic but the water dish sides could be too steep. A terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate is a safe alternative and easier for torts to access and exit.

Do you use any night heat for him?
Our temps have been so cold lately a baby like him will probably need it, but check the caresheet for temp advice.

There are some very experienced keepers here who will be glad to help you get it right for Sheldon so ask as many questions as you like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a ceramic Reflector lamp at 250W given to me by the shop I bought him from. I use bedding wood in some areas and Mediterranean tortoise sand in others. he also has a bowel of warm water which I replace with fresh twice a day
We need to know what type of bulb is in there, You've shown us the fixture.

Sand should never be used as substrate and wood chips can't be kept damp.

Pets shops are known for giving all the wrong info and selling all the wrong products.

Read that care sheet and adjust accordingly. Your eye problem will disappear, and your tortoise will be much happier and healthier.

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
There's a few other things I can see from you pic. which are common mistakes we all make.

The enclosure looks pretty dry so change to the recommended substrate . The caresheet may even recommend using a large viv while he is small.
The thermometer you have is not a reliable sort and is too high up. Most of us use a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe which can be placed at tort level. A digital temp gun is also great to have as you can spot check temps in different areas.
Hard to tell from the pic but the water dish sides could be too steep. A terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate is a safe alternative and easier for torts to access and exit.

Do you use any night heat for him?
Our temps have been so cold lately a baby like him will probably need it, but check the caresheet for temp advice.

There are some very experienced keepers here who will be glad to help you get it right for Sheldon so ask as many questions as you like.

Yes! I’ve read the full sheet you sent me and I’ve ordered some orchid bark. I’ll get a digital temperature gauge ordered aswell, thank you.

I thought the same about his water dish too when we got it, especially with him only being about 3 inches long. I try put the dish on the base of the enclosure and surround it with the substrate. Now it’s been confirmed it’s too steep I’ll get new.

I don’t use any direct heat on him at night but my home does have the heating on throughout the night (my mum sleeps very little and can’t stand a cold house)

Thank you again for your help!

Holly.thompson

South Yorkshire, England
We need to know what type of bulb is in there, You've shown us the fixture.

Sand should never be used as substrate and wood chips can't be kept damp.

Pets shops are known for giving all the wrong info and selling all the wrong products.

Read that care sheet and adjust accordingly. Your eye problem will disappear, and your tortoise will be much happier and healthier.

Apologies, I had a blonde moment there. I’ve attached a photo of the box the bulb came in. I assumed the tortoise sand from the pet shop would be okay. I’ll be writing them a bad review so thank you!

I’ve read the care sheet and will be changing the substrate as soon as it arrives. Have also taken on board loads of other things it advices too :)

Attachments

• 8B29F056-5F4F-44A2-AA57-ECDC42B396B1.jpeg
    8B29F056-5F4F-44A2-AA57-ECDC42B396B1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Apologies, I had a blonde moment there. I’ve attached a photo of the box the bulb came in. I assumed the tortoise sand from the pet shop would be okay. I’ll be writing them a bad review so thank you!

I’ve read the care sheet and will be changing the substrate as soon as it arrives. Have also taken on board loads of other things it advices too :)
The bad info is pretty universal amongst pet shops world wide. They just don't know better and the people pushing the products to them certainly aren't going to tell them. Its a big problem world wide.

Those bulbs used to be favored and recommended, but we've since learned that they contribute to pyramiding. We now recommend against them. Its all explained in the care sheet.

Let us know if you have more questions. We are all here to talk tortoises.