ANT ATTACK

vberonics

Location (City and/or State)
Texas, San Antonio
Today i took my 3 year old sulcata outside and a couple minutes later hes rubbing his arm against his face and as i take a closer look there are ants on his arm and neck, but most importantly his EYES. It was as if they were stuck on there and i did get them off in about 30 seconds but im not sure if he got hurt or not. There was two on each eye. some hard to get off and others easy rub. Heres a picture of his eyes 10 minutes later. (The red is NOT blood it’s strawberry residue haha) Just wanna make sure my baby is OKAY!!IMG_7121.jpeg

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
Today i took my 3 year old sulcata outside and a couple minutes later hes rubbing his arm against his face and as i take a closer look there are ants on his arm and neck, but most importantly his EYES. It was as if they were stuck on there and i did get them off in about 30 seconds but im not sure if he got hurt or not. There was two on each eye. some hard to get off and others easy rub. Heres a picture of his eyes 10 minutes later. (The red is NOT blood it’s strawberry residue haha) Just wanna make sure my baby is OKAY!!View attachment 358527
by the way as of right now he seems to be acting the same as usual. No changes in the way he walks or sees because i fed him the strawberry and he seemed to pick it up good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's been my experience in the past that it was the tortoise food that attracted the ants in the first place.
Hay and greens won't attract them.
Strawberries will.
My battle with ants (fire ants) was a long one. But they're gone. And I work hard to not allow them to return. One of those ways is to not leave out anything that ants would like to eat.
I'm not sure if your issue was the strawberry. And Sulcata should not be eating them anyway.
It's just a theory

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know that regular ants are a problem but fire ants sure can be.
Using food grade diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of the tortoise enclosure should have to rid them. You can also use it in areas the tortoise can't get to it. It won't hurt him if he does, but you should do your best for that not to happen.

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
It's been my experience in the past that it was the tortoise food that attracted the ants in the first place.
Hay and greens won't attract them.
Strawberries will.
My battle with ants (fire ants) was a long one. But they're gone. And I work hard to not allow them to return. One of those ways is to not leave out anything that ants would like to eat.
I'm not sure if your issue was the strawberry. And Sulcata should not be eating them anyway.
It's just a theory
i think he just accidentally walked into a new mountain because i gave him the strawberry after the incident, the strawberry wasnt near him or outside and this is the first time that ive had an ant situation with him and hopefully the last, THANK YOU for your feedback and can you please tell me more on how they’re not supposed to eat strawberries?? i had no idea is it bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
I don't know that regular ants are a problem but fire ants sure can be.
Using food grade diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of the tortoise enclosure should have to rid them. You can also use it in areas the tortoise can't get to it. It won't hurt him if he does, but you should do your best for that not to happen.
thank you i will look into that

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Sulcata, like many other tortoises, are not able to digest fruit or to process sugar.
It's a common mistake.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
i think he just accidentally walked into a new mountain because i gave him the strawberry after the incident, the strawberry wasnt near him or outside and this is the first time that ive had an ant situation with him and hopefully the last, THANK YOU for your feedback and can you please tell me more on how they’re not supposed to eat strawberries?? i had no idea is it bad?
Are they biting/stinging ants?
Fire ants?
They'll need to be addressed if so.

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio

Sulcata, like many other tortoises, are not able to digest fruit or to process sugar.
It's a common mistake.
thank you!! will he be okay in the long run??

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I avoid anything sweet in the diet but particularly in the outside food bowl to avoid ants going all over the food. Clean and green and nothing sweet is the best approach.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I avoid anything sweet in the diet but particularly in the outside food bowl to avoid ants going all over the food. Clean and green and nothing sweet is the best approach.
Unfortunately REDFOOT eat at least 30% fruit
And much higher amounts in the summertime

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Unfortunately REDFOOT eat at least 30% fruit
And much higher amounts in the summertime
OK that explains the Fruit addition . As ants like sugar I guess it has to be in shallow water.