Fake Plants

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hi everyone! I am getting a Russian Tortoise soon and am setting up his enclosure. Are fake plant ok to place in his enclosure?
Yes, they'll sniff at them and maybe bite them a couple times but quickly realize that they're not real food. Fake plants, like reptivines, are a great way to make sure your baby feels safe, as they like to hide. My tort likes to climb around in them before he burrows. Just make sure that they're not actually eating the fake plants.

Arlingstin

Wisconsin
Yes, they'll sniff at them and maybe bite them a couple times but quickly realize that they're not real food. Fake plants, like reptivines, are a great way to make sure your baby feels safe, as they like to hide. My tort likes to climb around in them before he burrows. Just make sure that they're not actually eating the fake plants.
Thank you so much! I just have a follow up, can you see the bite marks on the plants? Any other indicators that they are being eaten?

Denver, Colorado
Thank you so much! I just have a follow up, can you see the bite marks on the plants? Any other indicators that they are being eaten?
from what I know, you would be able to see some tiny tears in the fake plant and maybe some fraying. personally, i haven't seen them be bitten off entirely, but just check to make sure they haven't ingested anything. if there is evidence of biting, take the plant out immediately!

Arlingstin

Wisconsin
I personally would not put plastic plants. I prefer safe live plants.
I just want to make sure that the tortoise wont overeat and get fat or sick. I also want to make sure it get the nutrients it needs, I don't want it filling up on other plants and not eat the food he is supposed to. Do you think I need to worry about that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just want to make sure that the tortoise wont overeat and get fat or sick. I also want to make sure it get the nutrients it needs, I don't want it filling up on other plants and not eat the food he is supposed to. Do you think I need to worry about that?
They don't over eat or get fat if you feed them the right foods and house them correctly.

I can't use plastic plants as mine all try to eat them.

Give this a read:

BillyTheSulcata

Houston, Texas
How about planting grasses or other safe plants in pots that it can eat. Check out Tortoise Table for safe foods/ I have kept tortoises for 65 years and I never had one that got fat. I always offered a variety of food. When I was a child I used to take them to the nearby forest to eat weeds and grasses there. They got natural sunshine too. Not sheep herding but tortoise herding. Best wishes.