Fan inside Closed Chamber?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I have been planning/designing a new closed chamber enclosure. I believe I've got everything planned out except I'm trying to decide if it would be beneficial to place a small fan inside to move air.
This will be a 4'x8' enclosure with a partial 2nd story.
Will putting a fan inside help distribute the heat/humidity more evenly? Is there any possible negative side effects to using a small fan?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I use one. Otherwise I believe that all the heat collects at the top and eventually escapes. It's just a CPU fan I harvested from a broken computer (you can buy them online if you don't have an outdated or broken computer laying around), hooked up to a 9V DC adapter that I got off of an old electric can opener. (again, you can just buy one online).

I mounted it on the top of the enclosure blowing down in roughly the middle. It is almost completely silent and probably only draws a few watts of electricity.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes. Computer fans are most common since they are so small. They are usually used with species that need stable temps, but lower humidity. How tall will your enclosure be? A few feet will keep warm just fine. Human sized might benefit from a fan.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't run fans in any of my closed chambers. Never saw a need or purpose for it. If it does not cause too much circulation and drying of the air, I don't think it will hurt anything.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I guess the only way to know for sure if it will work with my plans is to build the enclosure and install the fan. If it doesn't work/ or is causing a problem I just have to turn the fan off[emoji28]

Reactions: Tom

SULCY

NEW YORK
I also use a fan in mine turns on when the heater turns on and off when it turns off both hooked up to a zilla controller.