Cooling system for closed chamber?

CarneAsada

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
Hey everyone, so I just wanted to see if any of you have made cooling systems for your closed chamber enclosures as mine is starting to hit 90-95 degrees and I want to make sure it doesn’t go above that as the days get hotter. I also don’t want to lose humidity so if you have any suggestions I am all ears!

So far my best idea is to cut out a square chunk of the enclosure and put a computer cooling fan in... but that will likely destroy the humidity...

Help me!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Set your heating elements on a thermostat. All but a mvb can go on them.
No cooling system should be used. You can also turn off a heating item if needed. The thermostat is the safest way though.

CarneAsada

Midwest
No cooling system should be used. You can also turn off a heating item if needed. The thermostat is the safest way though.

I have the thermostat but even still the temp rises and stays around 90+, id like to keep it around 85. This enclosure is in my garage so the outside temp gets very warm during the summer and even though everything shuts off when it hits 83 the temp keeps rising.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What bulbs and lighting are you using? What species is in this enclosure?

I had to use very low wattage bulbs in my new AP cages. And I had to use LED lighting instead of florescent to save even more heat. Mine creep into the low 90s during the day in an 80-85 degree room, but I like it that way for my babies. They cool back down to 80 at night.

CarneAsada

Midwest
What bulbs and lighting are you using? What species is in this enclosure?

I had to use very low wattage bulbs in my new AP cages. And I had to use LED lighting instead of florescent to save even more heat. Mine creep into the low 90s during the day in an 80-85 degree room, but I like it that way for my babies. They cool back down to 80 at night.

I’m using fluorescent tubes 6500k(two) and one heat/uvb basking flood light, and a Che Hester hooked up to a thermostat. The fluorescent bulbs are on all day, the basking light comes on for around 6 hours. I get mid 90s during the middle of the day and the temp outside is only going to get hotter as the summer continues. I figure I’ve still got a 5-7 degree increase coming. I have an Indian star tortoise, a yearling.

I have no problems at night, just during the day. I figure there has got to be some smart way i.e. fan humidifier combo to get the balance right during the summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The solution is to replace the fluorescents with LED. Florescent tubes generate a surprising amount of heat in a small closed space.

What wattage basking bulb? That needs to be on 12 hours a day. I had to go down to 43 watt round bulbs in mine to make this work.

Stars like it hot. I would want the cage to get into the low to mid 90s daily on purpose. This is what mine do and the babies thrive. My Burms would still bask under the heat lamp when ambient was 93. I'm told Indians are the same way.

You can also experiment with adding more vent holes and keeping the substrate more damp to see what happens to your humidity.

CarneAsada

Midwest
The solution is to replace the fluorescents with LED. Florescent tubes generate a surprising amount of heat in a small closed space.

What wattage basking bulb? That needs to be on 12 hours a day. I had to go down to 43 watt round bulbs in mine to make this work.

Stars like it hot. I would want the cage to get into the low to mid 90s daily on purpose. This is what mine do and the babies thrive. My Burms would still bask under the heat lamp when ambient was 93. I'm told Indians are the same way.

You can also experiment with adding more vent holes and keeping the substrate more damp to see what happens to your humidity.

That certainly helps. Will update if those changes don’t work [emoji1417]

Reactions: Tom

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I'm curious as to why you cannot connect an MVB to a thermostat? ???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm curious as to why you cannot connect an MVB to a thermostat? ???
It shortens their life span tremendously. They aren't meant to turn on and off all the time and it is also not a good idea for the tortoise to have the "sun" going off and on all day.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Great point. Thanks Tom and Yvonne. I was just curious. I don't think I want to pay $50 for another MVB before it's time. Lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My closed chamber is indeed heated by a single florescent strip light fuxture.
As @Tom mentioned. They produce a small amount of heat.
If you keep Redfoot, 95 or anything approaching that would be dangerously high.
If so, prop the lid open a little until you get the heat situation settled.

Reactions: Tom