Feedback for closed chamber for western hermann's hatchling?

kimbverly

Location (City and/or State)
UT
IMG_8806.jpg
Hello everyone! This is my *current* closed indoor (temporary) setup for my western hermanns hatchling I will receive from GST soon! I am very excited but know that this still needs perfecting.

Sterilite container 31.5"L x 20"W x 14 3/8"H
Substrate is a mixture of coconut coir and reptibark. Substrate is filled to around 1 and a half inches tall.
I drilled four holes on the top of the front and back walls for breathability.
50 watt basking bulb from ZooMed and 10.0 uvb bulb
Using analog ZooMed hygrometer (mounted in the middle) and ZooMed ReptiTemp digital Infrared thermometer to measure spot under basking light and cooler side.
Plastic bucket cut with an entrance for humid hide

My main concern is that the temperatures are not right. Quick note on humidity: On my analog hygrometer humidity was looking good when I initially added substrate, staying at around 90% for a couple of days. This number has dropped to 70% because of the condensation happening at the top and sides of the enclosure. I wiped most of the condensation away and suppose I can just mist it to get it back up there (?)

Now for temperatures. On my analog hygrometer the middle of the enclosure reads to be really low 70s (right now its is 71) with the lights ON. with the lights off it typically reads low 60s. The spot under basking light (using digital infrared thermometer) is typically low 80s (right now I got 83.5) and the cool side BARELY reaches 70. I have read information on the ideal temps for hatchlings in enclosures and my enclosure is too cold.

I suspect this is because of the holes I drilled on the sides of the enclosure. Perhaps the heat is coming out into my cooler room (mid 60s) so I thought taping the holes up might fix the problem. Another solution I have considered is replacing my 50 watt bulb with a basking light of higher wattage. Thinking of 60-70 watt bulb.

If you have any suggestions please let me know! I am mainly concerned about the temperature. I'm also thinking of adding little rocks (around 1.5 in to 2 in long) as decoration as well.

I would also like to know at what length my western hermann's would have to grow for it to have outgrown this enclosure, as it is pretty small (and so it the tort lol). I estimate this enclosure would suit it for almost a year? Please correct me if i'm off. This is my first time owning a reptile and I really want to make sure I have this right 😖

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

I'll try to answer as much as I can (if I'll miss something just ask again):
1. For accurate humidity measurements you will need a digital hygrometer/thermometer. Most hardware stores have them (price is from 2-3 to 10-15 bucks, AccuRite are known to be good).
2. To maintain humidity pour some water in substrate to damp lower layers. This will last for a week or two. Misting is less effective. You don't have to wipe condensate - let it drip back in substrate.
3. I see a hole in the lid for the UVB lamp but don't see one large enough for the basking lamp dome. So most of heat from the lamp is probably lost. For tortoises flood (wide beam) lamps work much better (Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight or Flukers Basking Bulb, for example). Such lamps can be installed under the lid and you won't need higher wattage.
4. The UVB lamp you have is not an effective source of UV. Fluorescent tubes are preferred. Considering height of the container, I suggest to get T5 lamp but 5.0 or Forest 6%. When you will upgrade the enclosure, you'll replace it with 10.0 or 12% lamp.
5. This enclosure could last for a year but if you can get 4x2 feet it would be better. Maybe you can put two such containers side by side and connect them via tunnel (sewage pipe section). My primary concern is container height - it limits you in selection of heating/lightning equipment and leaves little room for adjustments. Also doing maintenance is not easy with the lid on. Placing a greenhouse top over container should make things easier and lights/heating can be mounted on the frame.

Here are some very useful links:
1. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ - essential reading, very dense. Check Lightning/Heating Breakdown section there, also Temperate species care sheet is linked at the end - worth looking at.
2. This post highlights recommendations from care sheets above, if you are more of "visual" type: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/housing-young-russian-herman.217806/
3. And this one is how to retrofit sterlite container: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...-habitat-out-of-a-55gal-sterilite-bin.217138/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It appears tat you've watched Chris's videos and modeled your set up after that. There are a few problems, as you are seeing.

1. This sort of set up is better for a baby than a wide open top, but having the heating and lighting outside creates a chimney effect that draws your heat and humidity up and out. The heating and lighting needs to be INSIDE the chamber for it to be effective.

2. Basking temp needs to be 95-100 directly under the bulb.

3. Ambient heat needs to be maintained with a CHE or RHP set on a thermostat if you want to keep it above 70.

4. Those are the wrong bulbs. The 50 watt is a "spot" bulb. Those concentrate too much heat and IR-A into too small of an area and it will cause pyramiding.

5. CFL type UV bulbs are not an effective UV source and some of those bulbs burn reptile eyes. Those bulbs should not be used.

6. Those stick-on type analog thermometers are terrible and very unreliable. Get a digital one from Walmart or the hardware store, or online.

7. I recommend a minimum of 2x4 feet for a baby enclosure. Your baby's growth rate will be determined by several factors. Heat, humidity, hydration, and diet begin some of the primary factors. There is no way to predict the growth rate and how long a little started enclosure will last.

It looks like Alex and I were typing at the same time. In addition to those threads, check out this one:

This is a lot to take in. I hope you have lots of questions. Feel free to ask them all.