Feeder fish for captive turtles?

VicenteG

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a snapping turtle that I try to provide a variety of food for; Whole day-old chicks, salmon or haddock fillets, repti-vite sticks, or Mazuri croc or tortoise diet pellets.

Does anyone know if live feeder fish from the bait store or pet store are suitable for long-term captive turtle health?

If not feeder fish, what else do you like to feed your turtles, and where do you get them from?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I have a snapping turtle that I try to provide a variety of food for; Whole day-old chicks, salmon or haddock fillets, repti-vite sticks, or Mazuri croc or tortoise diet pellets.

Does anyone know if live feeder fish from the bait store or pet store are suitable for long-term captive turtle health?

If not feeder fish, what else do you like to feed your turtles, and where do you get them from?
You could use rosy red minnows, golden shiners, even little blue gill. Anderson fish farms sell them. I don't remember if they ship or not, but you coukd also order on ebay.

I like to trap my own creek chubs, minnows, etc. I keep them for a while to make sure they aren't sick or anything, feed them a good diet, and feed them off to the turtles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You could use rosy red minnows, golden shiners, even little blue gill. Anderson fish farms sell them. I don't remember if they ship or not, but you coukd also order on ebay.

I like to trap my own creek chubs, minnows, etc. I keep them for a while to make sure they aren't sick or anything, feed them a good diet, and feed them off to the turtles.
Great tip. I just checked them out. Pretty cool. I didn't see blue gill on their site. Where do you get those?