Feeding behavior

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Sorry to bother you all again. My tortoise has lost her appetite, she will only eat a little every day maybe 2 bits of dandelion at most. She is perky, active and alert and loves to explore. Weirdly though she would rather bite me than eat if she has the choice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, whenever there is a loss of appetite you must soak your tort daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water to prevent dehydration. Do this first thing, before your tort has warmed up properly and offer food straight after. Your tort is far more likely to eat after a soak and far more likely to be interested in food earlier in the day.

At this time of year, even torts kept inside detect the shortening days and it is not unusual for appetite and activity to decline. You need to convince your tort that summer is back.

Have the lights on a timer for 14 hours. They need to be full and bright to mimic the summer sun and, as the winter gloom reduces the light getting into your home from outside, you may need an additional lamp to add to the brightness - an LED desk lamp will probably do the job without messing with the temperatures.

Next double check those temperatures. Use a temperature gun thermometer to accurately check that basking is 35-37C and the ambient temperature. I am not sure of the age of your tort, but older torts can cope with cooler ambient than youngsters.

Use a digital min/max thermometer to find out how cold it is getting in the enclosure at night. Don't use guesswork. If your tort is getting too cold at night then she will take too long to warm up next day and she won't be able to eat. Tortoises cannot eat or digest food until they have raised their core temperature.

You may need to provide extra heat at night by way of a Ceramic Heat Emitter which must be used with a thermostat.

Reactions: Tom

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
She is under a year old, I've added a LED desk lamp and fiddling around with the positioning. I've got a temp gun and it reads 39 degrees underneath basking spot and 25 degrees in the coolest area. Do you think a warm humid hide would help at all as I can sort that out. And I shall definitely record lowest night temps. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She is under a year old, I've added a LED desk lamp and fiddling around with the positioning. I've got a temp gun and it reads 39 degrees underneath basking spot and 25 degrees in the coolest area. Do you think a warm humid hide would help at all as I can sort that out. And I shall definitely record lowest night temps. Thank you
I THINK the only benefit your animal gets from an LED light is extra light Far as I know, they don't put out any heat or any UVB. A tortoise that wants to hibernate needs long days, heat and good UVB.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
During the end of her day usually half 2 in the afternoon she has this strong pull to go and bury herself so should I up the lights for 14 hours??

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
This may be me going mad;) but when she does eat she suddenly stops and has this desire to bury herself. It's like it is calling her :roll eyes:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When do you offer food?

You should place food first thing in the morning so your tort can browse on it as the day goes by. Give your tort a soak first thing in the morning, place food then leave your tort to eat and explore.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Will do, she's always very distracted after her bath though. By the way what species is your Joe?

Joe’s a Greek.

Don’t worry if she doesn’t tuck in immediately. The important thing is that food is available first thing and all day.