Feeding trough?

noelani

5 Year Member
I have a very old (80-90 yr) CA desert tortoise and he has just woken up from hibernation this spring. He is eating well but seems to be having more difficulty than usual. He can eat grass fine but when it comes to his daily salad he has more trouble. We used to feed him in a pie-pan shaped dish that he would step on and then "flip" up to his face, but it looks like now the food just falls down where he can't reach and he can only eat the top half. I tried a sturdy plate and he just mushes it all over and bites at it without getting any. Any ideas? I thought about a feeding trough that is elevated so his horn doesn't get in the way. Any other ideas? [His entire enclosure is edible BTW with tortoise forage mixes and desert plants, but he doesn't seem to realize it because I think his previous home was just lawn and romaine lettuce]

57799283217__241274D6-8373-4333-82C0-486A4653C019.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
A flat slab, slate or the back (wrong side) of a floor tile is the best plate for any tortoise.
Yes they’ll mrvhnover it and drag food everywhere, but it doesn’t tip up. Once the weather improves enough to be outdoors, just throw the food on the grass. No plate needed.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Impressive horn! lol

I would suggest rigging something that hangs food where he can reach it straight-on.

Make sure his upper and lower beak surface is not too long for natural eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Male tortoises learn how to move their head to the side and eat around the gular.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a very old (80-90 yr) CA desert tortoise and he has just woken up from hibernation this spring. He is eating well but seems to be having more difficulty than usual. He can eat grass fine but when it comes to his daily salad he has more trouble. We used to feed him in a pie-pan shaped dish that he would step on and then "flip" up to his face, but it looks like now the food just falls down where he can't reach and he can only eat the top half. I tried a sturdy plate and he just mushes it all over and bites at it without getting any. Any ideas? I thought about a feeding trough that is elevated so his horn doesn't get in the way. Any other ideas? [His entire enclosure is edible BTW with tortoise forage mixes and desert plants, but he doesn't seem to realize it because I think his previous home was just lawn and romaine lettuce]

View attachment 318996
For this size tortoise I usually use plastic feeding trays, like from fast food places, to keep their food out of the dirt. A large terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate/ground would also work.