Felipe and Fernando's new enclosure

bully

5 Year Member
It is a recycled garden pond, a round tub in the hexagonal wood frame, I added the lid to retain heat and humidity, it lives in my conservatory

And as for raccoons - not a major issue in the UK but it is cat proof as my cats share the room as well and one regularly sleeps on the lid to enjoy the heating

bully

5 Year Member
I have moved the web cam so please feel free to have a look and let me know what you think, if you catch them up to no good, take a screen grab and post it!

http://81.96.51.165:80 is the address of the cam user name is redfoot and password is also redfoot at the menu screen choose an option to view based on your browser (I use mode 2) and you should see them (clearly at night (UK time) it will be dark

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416006694.001479.jpg

TortMomma

Wow that's a really good idea. It's very aesthetically appealing too. The torts are gorgeous!

bully

5 Year Member
Update on Felipe and Fernado (who are both girls by the way), although not outgrown their former enclosure we felt we could offer them more space and give us more room in the conservatory.

This planter was ideal as it was deep enough to hold the heat lamps and build a swimming pool that can get deeper as they get bigger it also offers a third more space and the option of building a ramp an another level

We lined it with insulation and then a pond liner, by placing a heat lamp over the water not only does it keep it warm but also adds to the humidity plus the room humidifier is still used to add extra moist air.

I hope you like what we've done for the girls

IMG_4604.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4604.jpg
    IMG_4604.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4605.jpg
    IMG_4605.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4608.jpg
    IMG_4608.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
Nice build, I like the tiles in the pool. How often is he humidifier on for and how often? Is it on a hygrostat? I'm looking at adding one, similar to you using a room humidifier rather than some kind of reptile fogger, not sure how long it will need to be on for or how often.

bully

5 Year Member
Nice build, I like the tiles in the pool. How often is he humidifier on for and how often? Is it on a hygrostat? I'm looking at adding one, similar to you using a room humidifier rather than some kind of reptile fogger, not sure how long it will need to be on for or how often.

I'm not sure how often I'll need to leave it on in the new house, as the heat lamp over the pool evaporates a lot of water, I had it on a timer before starting off being on for a couple of hours first thing and then half an hour every couple of hours through the day, I sometimes left it on longer, they seem to like sitting under the humid air as it pours out like a shower and let it flow down their extended necks

I did try a reptile specific one, but it was expensive and didn't last, so I bought one like this from Argos added a hose to the top to route the air and it works a treat, plus dumps a large volume

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4026949.htm

The tiled pool works well as they can drag themselves out easily

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
Thank you for the info, much appreciated :)

That one at Argos is a third off riht now, weirdly online the picture isn't available, and on the Argos app it shows a huge dimplex device, looks more like a dehumidifier to me though. I know what it should look like though, so I have ordered one - out of stock at local store so I could wait or get it delivered to my house, as it's nearly a 50 mile round trip to Argos I shall let them deliver it!

I was looking at similar models on eBay for more than this is new, so thanks for the link. I had looked at the reptile ones but they all seem to get bad reviews, this seems a much better option. I wonder if my tortoises will enjoy it as much as yours seem to!

bully

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info, much appreciated :)

That one at Argos is a third off riht now, weirdly online the picture isn't available, and on the Argos app it shows a huge dimplex device, looks more like a dehumidifier to me though. I know what it should look like though, so I have ordered one - out of stock at local store so I could wait or get it delivered to my house, as it's nearly a 50 mile round trip to Argos I shall let them deliver it!

I was looking at similar models on eBay for more than this is new, so thanks for the link. I had looked at the reptile ones but they all seem to get bad reviews, this seems a much better option. I wonder if my tortoises will enjoy it as much as yours seem to!

Mine was around £30 from Argos, and works well, much better than the reptile one's and I took the three year replacement warranty (only a few £'s) so if it does stop working I'll get a brand new one anyway, I then just inserted a length of garden hose into the top and route it into the enclosure

Let me know how you get on

IMG_4620.jpg