filter/pump question

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I'm pretty sure its the same as the Skippy filter. I used a 30 gallon plastic garbage can for mine. And I bought a small sump pump from Harbor Freight to move the water.

So Yvonne, I have here a pump from a kids ring top pool...the pump I believe pushes 1000 gallons per hour....I wonder if this can be rigged up with a trash can as the filter for a pond that is about 200 gallons....what is your take on that? I am planning to do an indoor pond for the two red ear turtles here...the two heffers are gaining on size and I have a great space in my bedroom that I would love to set their pond up in....do you think that pump could be worked and that volume of water movement would be workable? I would really love as little "fussing" with the set up as possible once it is set up, you know what I mean....they have a space outdoors as well that they sun in during the nice time of the year..but their primary locale will continue to be indoors....indoor turtle sets ups are all foreign to me...so putting my feelers out now....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see why not. The trash can filter is really quite basic. The pump pulls water in then sends it through a hose into the bottom of trash can filled with pot scrubbers, it merely over flows back into the pond. Mine has been working for over a year, and it's ready to be cleaned out, but that's a job for another day. Look up "Skippy Filter" online. They give very good building instructions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't hear my sump pumps at all. I have a larger one for the pond, and the smallest they make for the 600 gallon trough.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't hear my sump pumps at all. I have a larger one for the pond, and the smallest they make for the 600 gallon trough.

I suppose when the weather gets a touch better I can rig up a couple trash cans and see what I can do to get the pump to work for what I am trying to do....thank you all very much for your input :D