Finally eating grass

Cc3223

Location (City and/or State)
California
So happy to report that our beloved grasslands tortoise is finally eating grass. 🤣
We tried it all-- soaking Timothy hay, adding small grass clippings to shredded lettuce... but I suppose we always gave up before our stubborn Sulcata and went back to what was convenient.
Especially after going to great lengths to hide clippings in store bought romaine... only to have the romaine gone and the clippings remain unmolested.
It was really with great precision that our tortoise picked only what she wanted and left the healthy stuff.
But... after about a year of this dance every now and again... We got serious about pushing the grass and started putting wheat grass clippings in the serving dish whether they were eaten or not....
I can't tell you the level of excitement we had today when I randomly offered a blade of fresh lawn grass to see what she would do... and she readily grazed from my offering.
We quickly gathered more and there she was... suddenly chowing down like it was her favorite food.
20230123_135457.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Glad you succeeded. All this rain has turned the whole world into tortoise food. Everywhere I go I see grasses and weed just waiting to be cut and taken home.