Finally getting it going

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
I broke ground this weekend to start my outdoor enclosure. I was waiting until I cleared a lot of fallen brush and decided to do a burn on Friday since it had been so rainy up here. Well the fire department disagreed. They showed up (even though everything was under control) and told me I had to douse the fire. So it took longer to wait for everything to dry enough to start moving it. I've started to dig a trench around which I will lay chicken wire in to prevent digging out. I will post pics later today on this thread.

I had all the guys out under close supervision Saturday because it was such a nice day. I made a temp enclosure using logs I have for firewood and they loved running around and gorging themselves on dandelions, weeds and grasses.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Well..be sure to post those pics....we love em...:D

I will. Rain yesterday put a damper (pun intended) on working on the enclosure. I can't wait to get them out full time for the summer so I can redo their room to better suit them asap.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Here are a few pics of my guys in the temporary enclosure I made. Before anyone says anything I know this is not secure which is why they are out only when I can sit there and watch them. Today is finally a nice day (no rain) so I will be working on the permanent outdoor enclosure more today after work. I do have a question. Some people bury chicken wire or hardware cloth only around the edges of their enclosures to prevent digging out and some put a layer under ground for the whole area. The second would be a lot of digging for me since I am doing everything manually, with a simple tools like a spade. Any opinions on which route I should go? The enclosure will have areas for my russians, greeks, and sulcatta.

2012-05-12_11-31-41_404.jpg2012-05-12_11-31-35_151.jpg2012-05-12_11-31-47_637.jpg2012-05-12_11-32-44_302.jpg2012-05-12_11-32-49_832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
So an update on my outdoor enclosure. I managed to get a perimeter dug about 18 inches deep and 12 inches wide. I put a dual layer (shaped like a U) of chicken wire to prevent digging out along the perimeter. I considered digging the whole area out and laying chicken wire all across but the area is about 10' by 20', I'm digging by hand with a spade and realizing how old and tired I am :). Anyway The area I chose gets really good sun from first thing in the morning until about 2pm then the shade of the trees starts to creep across until about 4 or 5 when it is in the shade entirely. Any ideas on if this is good enough? I will be keeping all my guys in there (separated areas) I was planning on having small wood hutch like houses for them at night and to get out of the sun if need be as well as planting the whole area with tort seed mix and putting in logs and rocks for adventure time. I used to use this space as garden and grew tomatoes, squash, and cucumber there so there may be some volunteer plants that grow up in there spontaneously as well. If it had enough sun to grow these plants there should be enough for the torts right?

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Home depot is having a great sale on landscape timbers for $1.97 each so I grabbed 20. I'll go for more when I have money

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Your sun/shade combination sounds great. The morning sun into the afternoon is perfect.
And your perimeter @ 18" deep should be more than adequate. Must have been hard labor!

Don't think the tomatoes are good for them (pull them up when you see them), but squash blossoms and leaves are very good food for torts.

Really sounds like it is going to be nice.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Even though we've had a bit of a cold snap and lots and lots of rain I managed to work in the misty parts when it wasn't as bad to level out the paver block base and started to lay the timbers around. The timbers are 8 feet long so I am estimating the size of the total enclosure at 17.5 feet by 12 feet. here is the latest picture.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 99

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Any thoughts on my turning about 1/3 of this enclosure into a greenhouse as well? I figure if there are several tort sized doors it will be ok and I can put tables that can hold plants and vegetables as well.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Depending on how you do the greenhouse, it could really be a nice advantage. I am thinking along the lines when it is cooler out, giving them a warm up head start so they can be active outside earlier in the day and also a longer season for them. What were you thinking about to make it out of and how big (including tall)?

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Well I'd like to have it big enough for me to actually use for myself as well as making an area about 6x4 that would be almost exclusive tort use. I may put shelves above them to grow some snaller plants.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Latest pic. I have most of what I want done and just need to enclose it with chicken wire or hardware cloth but I'm out of money for now. So here it is so far.

Attachments

• 2012-06-30_11-14-29_677.jpg
    2012-06-30_11-14-29_677.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice use of the braces! Will the top cage be on hinges for access?

A small greenhouse mounted on blocks or timbers, with an opening for access, works very well so they can come and go. You can definitely use the shelves. I like having part of the floor covered with grey gravel (set on landscape fabric) to help absorb heat and for drainage. The tortoise enclosure (sides of floor) has soil.

It is really shaping up. Make sure to keep areas of dry, gravely soil for the Russians, with little groups of plants or weeds here and there.
Be careful with the grass in their area, as they really don't eat it, and it can therefore take over (as opposed to your Sulcata!).
You also may want to cap the corners, even with the lid, so they can't climb up and fall on their backs :rolleyes:

You have been working hard!

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Thanks Lynn. I have been working hard :) the brackets came as a kit I picked up at a yard sale for $2 and they threw in some 2x2 trex pieces to sweeten the deal. The block base was a patio someone didn't want so for the work of pulling it up and transporting myself I got a couple hundred blocks. I try to recycle as much as possible to save money.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Oh about being hinged. Its high enough for me to walk around crouched over now and I may raise the height so I can walk upright. This is just the enclosure. The greenhouse portion may need to wait. Have to see what I have for wood and I have a bunch of old windows for it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is really shaping up! I really enjoy seeing and hearing about folks recycling items to build what end up being such fantastic enclosures. :) I also like the fact that your doing it in steps as you can afford to. It's how I do it too, but at times I feel like others may find that a negative thing. So thank you for saying it's how your doing yours.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I really like the fact you are recycling too. That's what I do: I always check the 'cull' cart at Home Depot, and there is a terrific recycling center near my mom's house I check every other week. It really does save $, and is satisfying.

Take your time, that way you can modify as you go. Someday you can add a Greenhouse, if you want. Until then, you can even cover one side with clear plastic zip tied on if it gets to wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.