Finally getting started!!!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
My little A'tuin (RT) is finally getting a summer enclosure!!! Soooo Excited!!!!!

The past couple of weekends my DH and I have spent trenching the perimeter of his 4'x8' pen, and pouring concrete down into it so he can't burrow out of the pen on accident (whether he's escaping or not, don't care, wanna keep him in the safety zone!). I know that's a bit on the small side for a tort, but I will be expanding on it in the coming years. on top of the concrete border I will be using those red landscape timbers, and going about 1ft tall. I have to have a cover for the pen though, since our area is known for its hawks, great blue herons, coyotes, and raccoons, and I don't want the little guy getting snapped up by a predator. I saw this post and thought the @NEtorts had a brilliant idea of installing a drain under the concrete dish for ease of cleaning and such, so will be doing that as well this weekend. Will post pics on this thread of the progress! going to take a pic tonight of the base (we kind of laid the first layer of timber down while the concrete was wet so it would be set and stuck).

One quick question though: Do I bother planting green living things in there since he's a bulldozer? or should I always have a rotating supply of destructive plants for him to go through? Does anyone know of a plant that can withstand the force of a 5" SCL little RT???

Richabi

wales uk
Hi sounds great not sure wt plants u can use what if u buried terracotta plantpots half deep and plant in them at least he won't be able to destroy them perhaps someone may have a better idea take some picks when u can

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Here is a pic of the framework. The bucket is where the watering hole will go. I still need to add some organic topsoil along the inner edges to cover the concrete. Dimensions are 4'x8'. Hopefully I will be able to transplant some of the plants from other parts of my yard into this pen. I found a hosta, lilac, cranes bill, mallow, and forget - me - not, so I'm hoping they will survive the transfer to this new area!

Attachments

• 1431053826223.jpg
    1431053826223.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 37

Richabi

wales uk
Ye they should do make sure u take plenty of soil with Them make sure u ain't got any harmful weeds in there already looking good so far good luck

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Oh, so i've got a chicken-wired cover to go over the entire enclosure top, but was thinking of adding a "house" style fencing instead, sort of like this pic:

IMG_20140702_072014.jpg

that way it would weigh the lid down a bit better, and provide more room for the plants to grow?

Richabi

wales uk
Be careful with that coz they do like to climb he may fall off on to his back put some kind of upstand around bout 12 inches high smooth surface don't mean to criticise hopefully it's helpful for you

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
oh no, that's just an example of the fencing styling i'm going to use. this is going to go more than a foot above his wooden enclosure edging, and be attached to the lid. he won't actually have access to this "fencing" lid at all.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Just waiting for the concrete to set and to lay some grass seed in the cave. Ordered a solar fountain pump for watering hole, should be here by Tuesday!

Attachments

• 1431219465133.jpg
    1431219465133.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1431219479439.jpg
    1431219479439.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 1431219492514.jpg
    1431219492514.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 1431219503781.jpg
    1431219503781.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 33

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Love the look of the landscape timbers!! Nicely done!!