"Greenhouse"Remodel

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Some more progress. 8 tons of bedding mix will be delivered today. So I, going to start filling the newly redone pens in. Then I can start on running the drains for the ponds and install the sprinkler system. Time is getting very slim. Seems fall has come yet AGAIN early. I hate cool weather. Especially for the torts.

Anyways here's the small pens and the new large ones all painted and almost ready to go.
I also started building some 6x2x20" enclosures for smaller guys that can go in the greenhouse.
image.jpg

This pen will be divided into 2' pens for the smaller forsteni.
image.jpg
These will be for Kinixys and some smaller elongated.
image.jpg
And of course I have to build more enclosure on the ledge. Can't have enough tortoises right?

image.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree, fall comes earlier each year. :) Looks nice and glad to see your getting all this practice in so you can come build me one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree, fall comes earlier each year. :) Looks nice and glad to see your getting all this practice in so you can come build me one.
Hehe. Kelly's tort construction services, how can I help you? I know you like that cool weather. I however do not.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Got some dirt out in some of the pens. This is bedding mix. It's screened through a mixing machine. Composes of top soil, hardwood mulch and peat moss. It's good stuff.

Otis thinks he's going help out. But really he's just going to sneak off and steel the bell peppers while I'm the greenhouse shoveling dirt.
image.jpg

10" layer in the big pens. Then I will top the final layer off with cypress mulch.
image.jpg

Then the smaller pens for the Kinixys and little forsteni is only 6" deep. But I will later some granite/sand followed with another layer of bedding mix and mulch on top. Gotta layer the soil like it would in the wild.
image.jpg
image.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Still have a lot of soil and mulch to put in. But some of the enclosures are getting there. Put some plants in a few.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Turtlepete

South Florida
Pretty awesome, nice job. Building and designing enclosures has to be one of the funnest aspects of reptile keeping, am I right? Haha. ;).

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thats what I have a little combination backhoe for :). I guess that wouldn't fit through the door though, lol. When it doesn't fit places, it really does suck….o_O

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Kelly, I've been curious about one aspect of this building. To me a greenhouse is like a conservatory, a framed structure with plastic or glass walls and ceiling for maximum light penetration. You seem to have a building with a few windows and a dirt floor. I'm wondering if it is some sort of use permit issue, you have to call it a greenhouse so you can have dirt floors? Or something like that? A greenhouse is more window than wall though. Based on some of the night houses Tom has built, it's like a giant night house with a few windows.

I don't really care that you call it a greenhouse, I live in rocket myself, but that rocket has no engine, or flight capability, it just sits on the ground.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Kelly, I've been curious about one aspect of this building. To me a greenhouse is like a conservatory, a framed structure with plastic or glass walls and ceiling for maximum light penetration. You seem to have a building with a few windows and a dirt floor. I'm wondering if it is some sort of use permit issue, you have to call it a greenhouse so you can have dirt floors? Or something like that? A greenhouse is more window than wall though. Based on some of the night houses Tom has built, it's like a giant night house with a few windows.

I don't really care that you call it a greenhouse, I live in rocket myself, but that rocket has no engine, or flight capability, it just sits on the ground.
Your correct. It's merely just a structure. But the amount of flora and setup is more like a greenhouse. The climate here isn't conducive to a true greenhouse structure. The temperature couldn't be maintained for keeping tortoises alive. It's just a building yes with window walls. But the overall husbandry for the plants is similar of a greenhouse. Just without the greenhouse effect of course.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Could you go into a little more detail on how your heating system will work?

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Your correct. It's merely just a structure. But the amount of flora and setup is more like a greenhouse. The climate here isn't conducive to a true greenhouse structure. The temperature couldn't be maintained for keeping tortoises alive. It's just a building yes with window walls. But the overall husbandry for the plants is similar of a greenhouse. Just without the greenhouse effect of course.
Yeah... I don't think this area is traditional greenhouse friendly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Could you go into a little more detail on how your heating system will work?
The theory behind it is that the hot water running through the lines radiates heat. So this is one line from the water heater outflow. Then it ties back into a circulator pump at the bottom of the water heater. So in essence the constant circulation of hot water through the lines should heat the soil. Adding the pea gravel should help also heat the soil. Especially being covered over the pipes. It will take some fine tuning for sure. It will help, but I'm not optimistic enough to think it will heat the soil to a very warm temperature. Not to mention, that wouldn't be too natural either. But just aid in keeping from being very cold during the cold snaps in January-febuary. This method is used slot up north in high end homes to heat basement ceilings and floors. But usually they encapsulate the pipes with a concrete slab.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Concrete ponds and feeding area so far looking good.
Each enclosure I did a different shape to keep it a little more unique.
image.jpg
image.jpg

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Awesome job!! Looks great!! You will have some happy tortoises indeed! That must've taken quite sometime & planning?! How many tortoises & different species will be in there in all? That hard work will pay off for many, many years :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They look great when done and cured. I mixed charcoal coloring in with concrete so it didn't have the traditional grey color of concrete. Started putting some of the tortoises in the new enclosure this afternoon. Have 5 more pens need to fill dirt and mulch to be done.

Little guys in there new pen.
image.jpg

Finished pond and few more plants this will enclosure will be done.
image.jpg

And the erosa like the pond.
image.jpg

Irrigation system- each pen has it's own sprinkler head positioned to where the entire enclosure gets a "rain" event. They are positioned behind the pond in between the wall. This water is also hooked up the water heater. So the water is quite warm and elevates the humidity from 100 to 100%(lol. It's always 90-100% in there so no way of knowing. But makes it steamy for sure)

This is a pen without the wall at the sidewalk put up yet.
image.jpg

This is how the are positioned after wall is in place.
image.jpg

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Wow! I would love to come visit your facility sometime! You're doing great things!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have a pump on your drains or do you just flush it out with a hose?