"Greenhouse"Remodel

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Do you have a pump on your drains or do you just flush it out with a hose?
They are on a ball valve at the outside of the building. So when it's open every pond will drain. Which is twice to 3 times a day sometimes routine. They love to excrement in the water. Then they can be filled up with placing a hose in just one on the ponds. But I might run a water line to each one with a small ball valve. So a quick turn of that valve and few minutes later they will all be filled up.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Do you have a pump on your drains or do you just flush it out with a hose?
Ah I see now. I never provided that photo to clarify.
It's essentially a gut line like plumbing a house. Each drain has it's own "Y" fitting(1 1/2") that ties into a 2" PVC main gut line that drains outside.

This is what is under the ponds. Of course I built it up with dirt before placing the concrete. It's basically a concrete shower pan.
image.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
Ah I see now. I never provided that photo to clarify.
It's essentially a gut line like plumbing a house. Each drain has it's own "Y" fitting(1 1/2") that ties into a 2" PVC main gut line that drains outside.

This is what is under the ponds. Of course I built it up with dirt before placing the concrete. It's basically a concrete shower pan.
View attachment 96176
Nice idea to simply filling/draining, though there will be some back wash as the common
drain/sewer line also serves as fresh water line to all pens, unless you cap the pools prior to fresh fill and fill them individually.

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Been a while since I updated. Lots of new residents. Still working on the lights. I have 48" double T5HO fixtures that hang from the ceilings. Bulbs are on order and should be in this week. But it's getting there. Got the sprinkler system hooked up for the bigger pens. Going to work on the misting system for the smaller pens this week. Then the mountain house is being delivered next weekend so lots to do on that building when it comes. It's never ending here.

Crap phone photos but here's some updates.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah right Kelly! Blame it on your mom but I seen the paint brush in your hand . Haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking more along the lines of caring for all those plants.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Kelly:

Do you have minions?
Haha I wish. Just me and my mom. I do all the heavy lifting though. The Bolivian elephant ears are a pain. I had to out them in clay pots because they kept breaking the other posts(root bound) they grow better being root bound anyways. Those guys are very heavy and not fun to move in and out.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The bromeliads are starting to bloom. They're so awesome when they do. Well if the red or yellow foots don't eat them first.
image.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Well the last of the plants outside came in. Dropped down to 27 last night.
View attachment 104223

We only dropped to 45 here. It's supposed to be in the 30's for the next few day though. Hal slept in a nice cozy 79 degrees last night. (See my other thread "bad dream")

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
We only dropped to 45 here. It's supposed to be in the 30's for the next few day though. Hal slept in a nice cozy 79 degrees last night. (See my other thread "bad dream")

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Awesome. Wish we were only that as our low. Yeah I read that thread. As chunker as he is he's always fine. He's really lazy in the winter too.