finally getting the greenhouse :P

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
And Yvonne joins the fun! Pictures Newt swinger!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
There are ways to set up a greenhouse that aid in storing the heat to last further into the night, like lining the back interior wall (northside) with large black barrels filled with water (55 gallon). The color absorbs heat which in turn heats the water, then the heat slowly disperses as the water cools. Of course it won't work here without additional heating methods (In MN they would be giant ice cubes by December) but I have read that in helps a lot in warmer climates. And most of the plans I have seen in action use rainwater collection to fill the barrels, then use the stored water on the plants. It's a pretty neat setup. Also dark natural stone or clay flooring that holds heat.

Another helpful hint, planting deciduous trees nearby that are fully leafed in summer but lose their leaves in the winter will keep the greenhouse in dappled shade when the sun is at it's most brutal (summer) but allow full sun when the temps are at their lowest (winter).

I'm certainly no expert so I can't say what will work for torts in practical application, but I have seen these methods used in gardening and they seem to work.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
We are not going to quit harassing you until you either show us pictures or admit that it's either not belt or not done yet. Even if it's not done yet show us pictures of that.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
OMG!!! Just read this thread & laughing my arse off!! Can you show me at least :oops::rolleyes:;)? I'm curious :)
i will make new thread just for green house pictures. is there a way to ban someone from a thread cause i don't want mike to see it cause he's a gross republican? how do i make a thread on the phone version?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
i will make new thread just for green house pictures. is there a way to ban someone from a thread cause i don't want mike to see it cause he's a gross republican? how do i make a thread on the phone version?
LOL!! Your silly! He's just messin' with ya! I'm looking forward to these pics though!!! Are you talking about how to make a thread on the forum app?