Sulcata Greenhouse

legan52

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello! We are getting a handyman next week to finally build our greenhouse and I wanted to run the design by you all so I know if there's anything I should change. The basics: we live near Chicago and our Sulcata is about 2 years old, 10.5 lbs. He's currently kept indoors.

The greenhouse is 10x12ft and the current plan is to make one of the doors enter into a screened enclosure. We live next to forest preserve and the risk of raccoons and other wildlife is high. We'd have a night box inside the greenhouse for winter as well. During the warm months the door to the screened area would stay open for extra air flow. We plan to dig out about 6in down and do chicken wire underneath the whole thing too.

Our hope is that 10x12ft is enough roaming space during the winter and adding the extra grazing space (framed out and wired above for protection), will be a good set up. We also hope this lets us go a few days without needing to check on him (as he can graze and won't need food provided as he currently does), for times when we go on short vacations. That's part of the reason we want it extra secure from wildlife.

The other concern is obviously the weather. We have seen and will be building an insulated night box with plans found here, but I want some type of backup heat option. I'm worried that we would lose power in a storm, for example, and he'd be without heat for too long. Any tips on solar options I can wire in as a backup, even just to keep the chill from being too strong until the power comes back?

Last question, and this one is random, but my kids have been begging for ducks. Does anyone have tortoises mix in the same area? We wouldn't want to build two separate enclosures at this point in life, but if they'd mix I'd consider giving in to my kiddo's requests. I've seen sullys in our zoo's giraffe enclosure and it's always made me wonder what animals they can safely mix with.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Interested to see pics and hear reports as your greenhouse goes up and becomes operational.

I'm about to start building a greenhouse, partly for my redfoot's benefit, and I'm interested in seeing how other people do it.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! We are getting a handyman next week to finally build our greenhouse and I wanted to run the design by you all so I know if there's anything I should change. The basics: we live near Chicago and our Sulcata is about 2 years old, 10.5 lbs. He's currently kept indoors.

The greenhouse is 10x12ft and the current plan is to make one of the doors enter into a screened enclosure. We live next to forest preserve and the risk of raccoons and other wildlife is high. We'd have a night box inside the greenhouse for winter as well. During the warm months the door to the screened area would stay open for extra air flow. We plan to dig out about 6in down and do chicken wire underneath the whole thing too.

Our hope is that 10x12ft is enough roaming space during the winter and adding the extra grazing space (framed out and wired above for protection), will be a good set up. We also hope this lets us go a few days without needing to check on him (as he can graze and won't need food provided as he currently does), for times when we go on short vacations. That's part of the reason we want it extra secure from wildlife.

The other concern is obviously the weather. We have seen and will be building an insulated night box with plans found here, but I want some type of backup heat option. I'm worried that we would lose power in a storm, for example, and he'd be without heat for too long. Any tips on solar options I can wire in as a backup, even just to keep the chill from being too strong until the power comes back?

Last question, and this one is random, but my kids have been begging for ducks. Does anyone have tortoises mix in the same area? We wouldn't want to build two separate enclosures at this point in life, but if they'd mix I'd consider giving in to my kiddo's requests. I've seen sullys in our zoo's giraffe enclosure and it's always made me wonder what animals they can safely mix with.
The green house will make a heatable area and allow your tortoise to be outside more often, but I don't think it will work over winter. You won't be able to keep it warm enough when its covered in snow. The heated night boxes here are intended for warmer climates. Only time and a few thermometers will verify how well they will work in a Chicago winter. Also, the night box is for sleeping over night and on an occasional rainy day, not for living in for months, so you are going to need a large area that is constantly heated to 80+ degrees.

At 10 pounds your tortoise is not at risk from the local wildlife. At least not during the day, and they should be locked up at night. I live out in the country with raccoons, bears, coyotes, ravens, hawks, possums, snakes, etc... and I've never had an issue. I don't think you need to frame in a cage with a roof for a tortoise of this size. Mine are safe once they get to about 5". I say this because I don't think 10x12' is a large enough area for a 10 pound (And growing...) tortoise. Not having to frame it and put a roof on it will allow a much large area.

Ducks are very messy. Very very messy. You could say the mess they make is foul. :) They should not share an enclosure with a tortoise both for sanitary reasons and behavioral reasons. The tortoise will try to eat their copious quantities of poo, and the entire area will be coated with a layer of duck feces which is not good for your tortoise to live in. My daughter likes chickens. You can buy a reasonably sized coop from Tractor Supply and keep a few chickens over in their own enclosure if you wanted. The free eggs are awesome too!

legan52

Chicago
The green house will make a heatable area and allow your tortoise to be outside more often, but I don't think it will work over winter. You won't be able to keep it warm enough when its covered in snow. The heated night boxes here are intended for warmer climates. Only time and a few thermometers will verify how well they will work in a Chicago winter. Also, the night box is for sleeping over night and on an occasional rainy day, not for living in for months, so you are going to need a large area that is constantly heated to 80+ degrees.

At 10 pounds your tortoise is not at risk from the local wildlife. At least not during the day, and they should be locked up at night. I live out in the country with raccoons, bears, coyotes, ravens, hawks, possums, snakes, etc... and I've never had an issue. I don't think you need to frame in a cage with a roof for a tortoise of this size. Mine are safe once they get to about 5". I say this because I don't think 10x12' is a large enough area for a 10 pound (And growing...) tortoise. Not having to frame it and put a roof on it will allow a much large area.

Ducks are very messy. Very very messy. You could say the mess they make is foul. :) They should not share an enclosure with a tortoise both for sanitary reasons and behavioral reasons. The tortoise will try to eat their copious quantities of poo, and the entire area will be coated with a layer of duck feces which is not good for your tortoise to live in. My daughter likes chickens. You can buy a reasonably sized coop from Tractor Supply and keep a few chickens over in their own enclosure if you wanted. The free eggs are awesome too!

Thanks for the tips! I'm not convinced I want ducks, and I was thinking to allow like 3-5 max that free ranged during the day and came in at night. Knowing they wouldn't get along with our sully helps make that decision a lot easier. Our connected screened enclosure plan was more to account for vacation days than anything, so if our petsitter forgets to lock him up he wouldn't be messed with. I'm glad to hear they don't get bothered by wildlife at that size, but I'm a nervous momma. I've spent far too many hours cleaning tortoise poop out of my bathtub for him to end up raccoon food. It's just one of those things I'll never not be worried about, until he's full grown maybe :)

My husband is a very handy guy, and we have plans to build and insulate a decent sized box. We only get bitter cold and snow for about a month or two total over winter, and we do have a heated shed that we can use if needed. I'll have a thermostat in both the greenhouse and box to keep track of everything. Using the greenhouse year round is definitely the more ideal option until we move in two-ish years. Long term we will have land, stables, and horses if our plans all come to fruition! Do you have any recommendations about a solar generator or heating system as a backup? We've only lost power a handful of times but I'd hate for it to happen on a cold day. Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and best of luck with your green house! I’ll be interested and watching what u come up with.

Regarding solar power. I have a few solar panels that keep five 12v deep cycle marine batteries charged. Then i use a DC to AC converter that lets me run small appliances, fans, charge phones, etc. That said, you would need a very large system to be able to power any heating type of unit like CHEs or Radiant Heat Panels or Kane heat pads. These heat producing things consume a ton of power to heat up and keep heating. You would need a ton of (expensive) batteries. You could build a system that would power a few basking bulbs....a lot depends on how much you can afford to spend on a backup system.

You could look into a gas/propane powered GENERAC home generator as a backup power source - https://www.generac.com/all-product...kup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

legan52

Chicago
Greetings and best of luck with your green house! I’ll be interested and watching what u come up with.

Regarding solar power. I have a few solar panels that keep five 12v deep cycle marine batteries charged. Then i use a DC to AC converter that lets me run small appliances, fans, charge phones, etc. That said, you would need a very large system to be able to power any heating type of unit like CHEs or Radiant Heat Panels or Kane heat pads. These heat producing things consume a ton of power to heat up and keep heating. You would need a ton of (expensive) batteries. You could build a system that would power a few basking bulbs....a lot depends on how much you can afford to spend on a backup system.

You could look into a gas/propane powered GENERAC home generator as a backup power source - https://www.generac.com/all-product...kup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

That's good to know. I know absolutely zero about these things and it makes sense that it takes a lot of power to heat up a space. Really it would be a stop gap measure until power kicks back on. I doubt we'd actually end up needing such a thing, since we typically only lose power for an hour or two during summer storms. It's just one of those things I worry about in case we have a random snowstorm or something and I'm not home. I'll look into solar panels and a basking bulb :)