Finally my Leopard Tortoise is eating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goiva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Something else than Romaine lettuce...that is...:D. It took me a while but she finally seems content munchin on turnip greens and the Zoo Med grassland food. She is young, about 6 months. She was used to only romaine, I'm slowy introducing other greens and weaning her off the lettuce, any recommendation on what to offer next. So far, she only eats a little romaine (everyday less and less) turnip grees and the zoo med grassland tort food. I was thinking, cactus pad or cilantro, are those good options?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Try adding mazuri tortoise chow to her diet, optunia cactus pads are definitely a great food source as well.

Abe

5 Year Member
East Borneo
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Try adding mazuri tortoise chow to her diet, optunia cactus pads are definitely a great food source as well.
^ agreed :)
add a bit of her favorite food till they're used to a new one

goiva

5 Year Member
California
Abe said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
^ agreed :)
add a bit of her favorite food till they're used to a new one

Thank you. Sheldon really liked the cactus.
And here he is. Hopefully the pic will show.

Attachments

• sheldon.jpg
    sheldon.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 63

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Where do you guys purchase opuntia cactus pads? I've never seen them for sale and was wondering if there is a local place in most cities or if they must be mail-ordered?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I order mine from Carolina Pet supply via mail but they sell it by the pound and a baby won't go through that much my adult Greek eats most of it. So finding it locally might be a good idea or somewhere that may sell one leaf at a time or thick that won't dehydrate fast. The ones I get from cps are thin but many leaves. I think I read specialty food stores that sell Mexican foods sell it but someone would have to confirm that as I have only ordered online.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Frog Tropics said:
Where do you guys purchase opuntia cactus pads? I've never seen them for sale and was wondering if there is a local place in most cities or if they must be mail-ordered?

I have found them in my local Wal-Mart and also Kroger stores. You can also get them through the internet too.

I feed mine spring mix lettuce with either red or green leaf lettuce as the base and then add mazuri, other vegatables or occasionally strawberries or melon as a treat.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mexican markets sell them, or you can just drive around until you see some and grab one:D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! Don't you just love when they are "weaned" from the eating only one thing and start eating everything! Joy.

For more foods, besides growing your own weeds or doing a little guerilla harvesting on open fields/lots (just be sure-sure-sure they are not areas that could have been sprayed in any way whatsoever) ...

Try ethnic markets if you have some in your part of the world. Here in So Cal we have quite a few (Latino and Arabic) and one market, elSuper has had the "nopales" on sale for 4 pounds for 99 cents on Wednesdays (veggie super sale day) and opuntia/prickly pears, 8 (yes, 8!) for 99 cents. They also sell nopales in bags, despined and chopped up and ready to eat for 1.99. And the 99 Cents Only store also has nopales in slightly smaller bags for, 99 cents only. In the Arabic markets I always find dandelions and mustard greens, as well as ground up pumpkin seeds in the spice section which I sprinkle on the food a couple times a week in the hopes of having a natural dewormer. Prevention is always best type of thing.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Yay! Don't you just love when they are "weaned" from the eating only one thing and start eating everything! Joy.

For more foods, besides growing your own weeds or doing a little guerilla harvesting on open fields/lots (just be sure-sure-sure they are not areas that could have been sprayed in any way whatsoever) ...

Try ethnic markets if you have some in your part of the world. Here in So Cal we have quite a few (Latino and Arabic) and one market, elSuper has had the "nopales" on sale for 4 pounds for 99 cents on Wednesdays (veggie super sale day) and opuntia/prickly pears, 8 (yes, 8!) for 99 cents. They also sell nopales in bags, despined and chopped up and ready to eat for 1.99. And the 99 Cents Only store also has nopales in slightly smaller bags for, 99 cents only. In the Arabic markets I always find dandelions and mustard greens, as well as ground up pumpkin seeds in the spice section which I sprinkle on the food a couple times a week in the hopes of having a natural dewormer. Prevention is always best type of thing.

Thanks no more ordering online for me love those prices

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
I would try to entice him with some fruits, (apples, strawberries, tomatoes...etc) but make sure not to feed to much. Think of it as a treat you would give to a dog. :)

lunalink

5 Year Member
Here in socal we have nopales all over the place . Think imma go ahead and grow my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.