Finding out the age of a Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermansmom

5 Year Member
Hi,

We just adopted a Sulcata Tortoise (Herman) through our Herp Society. Unfortunately, he came with no background information. I am trying to determine how old he is. He is roughly 9" wide x 12" long.

The pen is 36" wide x 8' long if that gives an idea of his size.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• herman 008.jpg
    herman 008.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 166

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Can you post some pics of him? How much does he weigh? And more exact measurements/extra info will help! :) welcome btw!
Here's a link to how to properly measure: http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

hermansmom

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Can you post some pics of him? How much does he weigh? Extra info will help! :) welcome btw!

Sorry about that! He weighs 12.6# (I just put him on the scale :) ) Thanks for any help you guys can give me and for the welcome - I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• herman.jpg
    herman.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 137
  • herman 002.jpg
    herman 002.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 149

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I am curous to know what his length is...13 lbs seems light to me...But I am not a sully owner, so I can't be sure. But for comparison, my 5 1/4 inch Greek tortoise weighs over 1 1/2 lbs.

Does he feel real solid when you pick him up?

hermansmom

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I am curous to know what his length is...13 lbs seems light to me...But I am not a sully owner, so I can't be sure. But for comparison, my 5 1/4 inch Greek tortoise weighs over 1 1/2 lbs.

Does he feel real solid when you pick him up?

Yea, he definitely seems solid. He is 12" long from front of shell to back and 9" wide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OOPS! I'm sorry about my previous post on your other thread. I didn't see your new little guy down there in the corner of the habitat in the other thread. I'll have to amend my water dish comment and say that your water dish is too small for that big of a sulcata. He should be able to get his whole body into the dish.

On another note, your tortoise is big enough to be outside when the weather is warm enough. Your tort table, while nice and big and a good job of building, is fine for a hatchling (which is what I thought you had), but too small for a 12lb sulcata. He's plenty big enough to be eating grass and weeds outside.

I would venture a guess at his age to be appx. 5 years old.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
He looks healthy too...my guess would be around 7yrs I think. Congrats on your new tort. His name makes me think of Herman Munster! :p

Looks like you take him outside too, which is great. Nothing can replace a nice romp in the yard!

hermansmom

5 Year Member
Thanks!

An outdoor pen is our next adventure - this weekend! We are in Minnesota and it has been in the 50's and raining for the past 3 days so didn't want him out in that. I do take him outside to let him cruise around. I needed something for inside - for bad days, and this winter and to keep him off floor level until my curious greyhounds get to know him

hermansdad

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
On another note, your tortoise is big enough to be outside when the weather is warm enough. Your tort table, while nice and big and a good job of building, is fine for a hatchling (which is what I thought you had), but too small for a 12lb sulcata. He's plenty big enough to be eating grass and weeds outside.

As hermansmom mentioned we live in MN. We will need to bring him inside during the winter anyways, so which size table do you recommend for him? He has plenty of room to roam around. We take him outside every day its possible (stupid MN weather!).

Thanks everyone for the great advice. He seems to be a happy boy so far. We are just working on getting him on a good diet and clearing up a little wheezing problem, but overall, he's in good health.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I would have to agree with Yvonne. I would guess about 5 years old also. Mine are about 4 1/2 and range in that area of length and weight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
hermansdad said:
As hermansmom mentioned we live in MN. We will need to bring him inside during the winter anyways, so which size table do you recommend for him? He has plenty of room to roam around. We take him outside every day its possible (stupid MN weather!).

I love that you and your wife both joined the forum under your own "names!!!" Welcome to the forum. We're very glad to have you here.

Most people with sulcatas either have devoted the basement to the sulcata, or have a heated shed outside for them. In my case, my 100+ pound sulcata lives outside year-round. He has three pastures, and he is allowed in one while the other two are growing and being watered. During the winter months, he can come and go at will from his heated house. And he DOES come outside during the worst weather. I have seen him out scraping ice off the dead grass. When they get big like that, they hold their body heat longer. Also, they are smart enough to know when to go back inside and warm up. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't build him a "table," I would dedicate either a room, the basement, or build him a heated shed outside.

Yvonne

hermansdad

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I love that you and your wife both joined the forum under your own "names!!!" Welcome to the forum. We're very glad to have you here.

Most people with sulcatas either have devoted the basement to the sulcata, or have a heated shed outside for them. In my case, my 100+ pound sulcata lives outside year-round. He has three pastures, and he is allowed in one while the other two are growing and being watered. During the winter months, he can come and go at will from his heated house. And he DOES come outside during the worst weather. I have seen him out scraping ice off the dead grass. When they get big like that, they hold their body heat longer. Also, they are smart enough to know when to go back inside and warm up. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't build him a "table," I would dedicate either a room, the basement, or build him a heated shed outside.

Yvonne

Awesome info, thanks Yvonne! :D

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
My sulcata is at the 5 year old mark and he is 30 pounds.He is 17 and a half inches long and 12 and a half inches wide.Spends most of his time grazing in the back yard eating and napping!What a life!I would quess your sulcata is 4 to five years old!

hermansdad

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Is he seeing a vet for the wheezing?

Not yet. On the advice of a MN Herp Society member who has Sulcata experience, I am adjusting a few things and waiting a week. He has no discharge around his nostrils and his eyes are not puffy or anything.

In fact, after I got home from work yesterday I took him outside just to monitor him for a bit and the wheezing was gone. It may have been stress related due to the change of homes, a change in diet (to a good one!), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.