Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
As requested:

I've got 7 Blackthroat monitors total. 4 in the Left cage, 3 in the right one. They are only 6 months old, despite their size. I intend to eventually pair them or maybe groups of 1.2.0. I'll have to see what I end up with when they mature. I've got two more cages like this to build. Ugh...
They go out during the day and I put them back in their tiny (100-150 gal) indoor cages at night. Eventually, they will stay outside permanently. I've seen them using the pools and I know they are getting comfy out there because they don't bolt up to the corners and freak out all the time. I feed them in 44 gal trash cans to make sure each one is eating the right amount AND this gets them handled everyday too.

301d35d.jpg

outzco.jpg

2hs6pdz.jpg

21j3h8y.jpg

23prvp.jpg

11jck5f.jpg

fllt9h.jpg

2rn8zlf.jpg

91cfwm.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Woowww Tom, Amazing cage! I love it. You did an amazing job with it! And Your lezards are beautiful! I could stay hours looking at an enclosure like that.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tom, I am moving to come live in your backyard OK? lol

Wish I had the space to do something that big for my basilisks! Looks amazing.

For the kiddie pool, did you customize it with like a plug in the bottom so you could just drain it and fill it up or do you just dump it?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Nicely done, you must have the happiest lizards in captivity!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seiryu said:
Tom, I am moving to come live in your backyard OK? lol

Wish I had the space to do something that big for my basilisks! Looks amazing.

For the kiddie pool, did you customize it with like a plug in the bottom so you could just drain it and fill it up or do you just dump it?

I use a little tub and scoop out water for all the plants daily. Then, when its pretty low, I just pick it up and dump it in the cage, rinse or scrub it out, and refill it.

pugsandkids said:
Nicely done, you must have the happiest lizards in captivity!

I pass my own test on this one. If I died and came back as a monitor lizard, would I want to belong to me?

Yes. Yes I would. Sure would beat the heck out of living in the wild.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow. I wish I could build cages and enclosers like you do. I would have all kinds of critters. Well probably just torts....but lots in big enclosures!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Funny. I was thinking that if the lizard thing ever didn't work out, these would make great walk in, covered tortoise pens.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom! WOW! Now that is what I call a job well done!:)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i love them! glad I could also contribute to building the top fencing, and supplying the cactus!

wonderful job Tom!!! I cant wait to help build the rest of them!

latshki

5 Year Member
sorry for the late reply
these cages are just stunning man, you've outdone yourself and everyone else lol
those BT are very healthy looking and pretty darn big for their age
Im sure they'll hit the 4ft mark in another 5-7 months and likely more than that too
props

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the compliments.

I've got to get out the tape measure. They are getting darn close to 4' now! I don't feel like I feed them all that much compared to all the other monitors I've raised, but I've never had any grow this fast. The broker told me the adults were nine feet long. I dismissed this immediately as a gross exaggeration, but maybe it wasn't. The biggest one I've ever seen was a male about 7.5' long. About half tail. I laid down next to him and estimated another foot and a half longer than me. He was a cool dude too.

latshki

5 Year Member
they are 4ft already good god
man i cant wait to see what they turn out to be like!
true monsters
good luck

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's like going to the Zoo....you could charge admission. I would definitely have a nice lounge chair out there so I could sit out and enjoy looking at them all day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:
It's like going to the Zoo....you could charge admission. I would definitely have a nice lounge chair out there so I could sit out and enjoy looking at them all day.

I think its like going to Jurassic Park. I could turn the lizards and sulcatas loose on the ranch, bring over my friends zebras and giraffe and my other friends rhino and elephants and have my own African Theme Park.:D

They are fun to watch. They are still young and getting used to being outside, but they are getting more comfy every day. As they get bigger they tend to be less fearful and more outgoing.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
The cages are incredible! Lucky little lizards :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Albinoboidsetc said:
Can I come to your house and just hug your Ionides?

You'll have to catch them first! They are still in that buck wild, "Hey we just moved out into the sunshine and the great outdoors in a giant cage!" mode. My tegus took about two or three weeks to settle back down again when I moved them out. This is the first time I've moved Blackthroats outside, so I don't know how long it will take them. I'm just trying to keep them fat and happy for a while. I've seen others do it near here, so I know it will work (over the winter, I mean).

You are welcome anytime. I'm about 40 miles north of LAX. Stop by if you ever make it out this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.