First attempt at a tortoise table

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I think I've finally got my temperatures straight, though won't have completely accurate readings until tomorrow evening, but here are some photos:

9tx8.jpg

bvas.jpg

9y9l.jpg

It's tough to see in the photo, but in the front right corner (opposite the feeding bowl) are ceramic tiles arranged in a 6x9 rectangle.

My next change will be taller walls, so I can make my substrate deeper:

fqg4.jpg

This is a bit of an odd place; normally my tortoise burrows in the front left corner. I'm not sure why this time is different...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. A couple live plants would make him happy too. Oh, he decided on that spot, just too keep you guessing. They seem to do that, alot:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very nice setup . He is hiding you can't hide in the same spots .:D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I really like your table. It makes me want to dig in the dirt. It looks like your tortoise is having fun.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Re: RE: First attempt at a tortoise table

wellington said:
Looks nice. A couple live plants would make him happy too. Oh, he decided on that spot, just too keep you guessing. They seem to do that, alot:D

That's on my to-do list, as well as a covered spot on the cool end, and eventually a whole second level. My concern with live plants is that he'll eat them all, and then on top of taking care if him on a schedule, I'll also have to become a pro-gardener, and I just don't have the time for that...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Looks good. 2nd story is a great idea.

I think you will want to cap the corners to prevent him from climbing out.

bradtato

Richmond, VA

Eloise said:
Looks good! What are the dimensions?

2'x5'x8", with about 2" of substrate, making the walls 6"tall.

WillTort2 said:
Looks good. 2nd story is a great idea.

I think you will want to cap the corners to prevent him from climbing out.

I'm toying with ideas for a second level; I'll probably work a temporary setup into it this weekend and see how I like it, and how the tortoise likes it. He seems to love it when I let him roam around the house, so I want to make his table more explorable.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Willtort2 hit it on the head!! cap those corners off so if he tries to climb up them he will be blocked by the cap.! if you don't want to make permanent ones bc of the second story put duck tape on them! just don't want him getting over the top and falling to the floor! other than that looks good.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
bradtato said:
wellington said:

That's on my to-do list, as well as a covered spot on the cool end, and eventually a whole second level. My concern with live plants is that he'll eat them all, and then on top of taking care if him on a schedule, I'll also have to become a pro-gardener, and I just don't have the time for that...

If you do a second level, make part of it a garden he has no access to without your assistance. Through in some chickory and clover seeds. In a few days you will have sprouts. Set him in there and watch the destruction! I have so much fun watching my lawn mowers go to work. They can destroy a 75 gallon tub full of growing sprouts in less than an hour! It is really something to watch.

bradtato

Richmond, VA

Saleama said:
bradtato said:
wellington said:

If you do a second level, make part of it a garden he has no access to without your assistance. Through in some chickory and clover seeds. In a few days you will have sprouts. Set him in there and watch the destruction! I have so much fun watching my lawn mowers go to work. They can destroy a 75 gallon tub full of growing sprouts in less than an hour! It is really something to watch.

Fantastic idea! I was just thinking today about planting some dandelion seeds, since they're easy enough to come by, and don't really take a ton of maintaining.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Saleama said:
bradtato said:
wellington said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................

Great idea. Second level. I think I also can build one for my current table.

Thanks!!