First Enclosure...built!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akp022

5 Year Member
photo (7).JPGphoto (6).JPGphoto (5).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (3).JPG
It is ALMOST done...I just need to add substrate (coconut coir) and some decorations/plants, any suggestions for materials to use to cover half of the top? Let me know what ya think...Aggie is a Greek Tortoise who does not do well with change (he takes a long time to adjust) but he seems to be doing okay in this one, he explored for quite awhile (it's 4'x3.5' so he now has plenty of room to roam :) ). He is currently staying in his old enclosure until I can get the substrate dried out...it is in the brick form and I do not think that a Greek is supposed to have that much humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Unless it the substrate is dripping with moisture, you will be surprised at how quickly it dries out when there is a heat/uv lamp. The surface will dry out in a day. Having the underlayers moist is ideal for more mediterranean tortoises.
Nicely done!

akp022

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Very fun....what did you line the enclosure walls/floor with? :D

I'm currently looking at just lining with contact paper for now (this is another reason he is not in his new home yet, I need to cut the contact paper to fit it today; does this sound like a good option for now?

Lasciels Toy said:
Very nice work, always like a variety of finishes.

Thanks :) the variety of finishes is because someone was giving random pieces of wood away for free lol, I tried to make it as symmetrical as I could!

lynnedit said:
Unless it the substrate is dripping with moisture, you will be surprised at how quickly it dries out when there is a heat/uv lamp. The surface will dry out in a day. Having the underlayers moist is ideal for more mediterranean tortoises.
Nicely done!

Thank you :). So are you suggesting that I do not dry out the substrate before I put it in the enclosure?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
don't dry it out no need, just make sure it isn't dripping wet. I also built 2 of my enclosure with free wood XD i was given nice skid wood one is 3'x3' the other is 3'x7' lined with tarp i bought at the dollar store

akp022

5 Year Member
Here's the finished product (minus the plants/grasses):
photo (8).JPGphoto (9).JPGphoto (10).JPG

...and here is Aggie's reaction to his new home

1. Sniff the new material to make sure it is safe
photo (11).JPG

2. I think I can do it...
photo (12).JPG

3. RETREAT...poor little guy hates change
photo (13).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

akp022

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
don't dry it out no need, just make sure it isn't dripping wet. I also built 2 of my enclosure with free wood XD i was given nice skid wood one is 3'x3' the other is 3'x7' lined with tarp i bought at the dollar store

The humidity in his enclosure is now up to almost 50% and that is way too much humidity for a Greek...any suggestions on how to lower the humidity? Should I mix it with regular soil or won't that lower it any?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
akp022 said:
Rover15 said:

The humidity in his enclosure is now up to almost 50% and that is way too much humidity for a Greek...any suggestions on how to lower the humidity? Should I mix it with regular soil or won't that lower it any?

Blow dryer the hot air should dry it out, idk about greeks but I know my enclosures in the bacement drys out quickly

akp022

5 Year Member
I added some reptibark to give it some texture and my poor little guy just doesn't know what to do, he spent 5 minutes walking around sniffing everything like a puppy dog then walked over to his dish and blew out "dust" from his nose, apparently I let the coir dry out too much lol

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
50% is OK, Med tortoises tend to come out in the rain in Spring (in the wild) and burrow down in the moist subsoil when it is hot and dry. As long as your tort has a nice warm basking area, I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.