First spa day

innocent

Location (City and/or State)
Acton, Ca
I have been caretaking two Desert Tortoises for years now and never have given warm water soaks. I always have large Terra Cotta saucers out with fresh water which they mostly ignore but theoretically they may soak in when its warm. I have not witnessed this and doubt it happens. I only a few times a year, about monthly fill their depressions with hose water and they go get drinks and hang out for a bit. After reading about all the warm water soaking going on in this forum I have decided to start giving these to Tic and Toc (the tortoises in my care) as it can maybe help their health with very little to no downside. At least far as I can tell. So the other day I put Toc in a warm bath first. It appeared she didnt mind too much and only strolled around a bit as if looking for a way out but not frantic or upset. It was a successful soak. The biggest surprise was when I put Tic in. He immediately went super relaxed. He just layed there and actually closed his eyes as I poured the warm water on his shell. He seemed to be in tortoise heaven and now I'm wishing I started these soakes sooner. I now plan on trying to do this about every weekend. I'm glad for the advice on this forum and Tic and Toc appear glad as well.

Attachments

• 20220924_145136.jpg
    20220924_145136.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220924_145647.jpg
    20220924_145647.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220924_145826.jpg
    20220924_145826.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lots of tortoises are hard wired to take advantage of rain, and they only drink when it rains. Yours are probably in this group. I'm glad you've started soaking though, because this species is prone to bladder stones which sometimes come with dehydration.

OliveW

Branford, FL
"After reading about all the warm water soaking going on in this forum"

That quote made me laugh.

Yep, warm water soaks are one of the first things I learned here. My sully sometimes appreciates it and sometimes doesn't. He tolerates it much better in the plastic kiddie pool I got him. He was never a fan of the bin soak. Of course it's much harder for me, as I have to carry buckets of hot water to add to the hose water. Probably why he like it's better. 😂 He gives me the stink eye the entire time.

So long as he doesn't poop in the water, I will leave it out in the sun for a few days so it stays warm and I can reuse the water, since he soaks daily. Of course I do feel the water and get a temperature before using, since this is Florida and water could overheat.

This will be my first winter with Tortimer. I think when it gets cooler out (actually did this today due to it being stupidly cold from hurricane) his soaks will all take place in an unused bathtub in our mater bathroom. Even though we never use it, I bleach it afterward. I haven't come up with any better solution and don't want to stop soaks since he was improperly cared for prior to us getting him.

I will likely slow his soaks down to a couple times a week after this first year we've had him. Until then, I feel like he just needs the best possible chance to grow healthy and strong. I've also considered continuing daily soaks in all the warm months and less frequent in the colder months. It's just a one day at a time decision making around here. LOL

This baby (he's not really a baby and I have no idea how old he is, or even if he's a boy) came with a huge learning curve! He is literally a dream come true for me. I've wanted to own a tortoise my entire life, and considered getting one in reality after we moved to Florida in 2007 and my kids were mostly grown. I just got completely overwhelmed by all the research and conflicting information and seemingly complicated care.

An interesting fact is that my sister has wanted a bearded dragon since the 90's, but just like me she researches to infinity and beyond prior to jumping into anything. To this day, she won't make the commitment out of fear of not being able to provide proper care. It's sad because she lives alone in a million plus dollar home on the beach, makes over $100k a year, and worries about being able to care for a reptile. She has no pets at all now that her dog and cat have both passed.

She's intelligent, she's a software engineer. I hope she runs across a bearded dragon one day that desperately needs her, just like I ran across a Sulcata that needed me.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have been caretaking two Desert Tortoises for years now and never have given warm water soaks. I always have large Terra Cotta saucers out with fresh water which they mostly ignore but theoretically they may soak in when its warm. I have not witnessed this and doubt it happens. I only a few times a year, about monthly fill their depressions with hose water and they go get drinks and hang out for a bit. After reading about all the warm water soaking going on in this forum I have decided to start giving these to Tic and Toc (the tortoises in my care) as it can maybe help their health with very little to no downside. At least far as I can tell. So the other day I put Toc in a warm bath first. It appeared she didnt mind too much and only strolled around a bit as if looking for a way out but not frantic or upset. It was a successful soak. The biggest surprise was when I put Tic in. He immediately went super relaxed. He just layed there and actually closed his eyes as I poured the warm water on his shell. He seemed to be in tortoise heaven and now I'm wishing I started these soakes sooner. I now plan on trying to do this about every weekend. I'm glad for the advice on this forum and Tic and Toc appear glad as well.
Fabulous names and great your soaking. It is a great investment of time and so pleased it is working out. Mine also stretches out and chills in his water and when he has had enough he starts the endless scratching to get out all good exercise.

Houston
I soak my Burmese Brown when I shower. The configuration allows me to keep him warm-soaked without risk of soap/shampoo. He walks the perimeter of it too.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I soak my Burmese Brown when I shower. The configuration allows me to keep him warm-soaked without risk of soap/shampoo. He walks the perimeter of it too.
If it works for you great but not recommended practice I would never shower with speedy. I soak him for an hour in shallow warm water for most of it he sits still and drinks, in addition he poos and wees and that would not be pleasant for me or him!