First time sulcata set up

dm3577

Location (City and/or State)
MD
Hi everyone!
Preparing for my first sulcata. I picked out a 3 month old and so excited. Can anyone give me some inside set up ideas? I’m stuck. I’ve heard so many different things and I’m now lost. I heard open tops are really hard to keep humidity in and coco bedding is really bad.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi, and welcome!
This guide will explain everything you need

ss22matt

West Midlands
I've kept mine through its baby phase in a large table, and can confirm keeping humidity high is challenging, but not impossible. I just covered most the top with clingfilm with some opening for airflow to keep it in more, and used a humidity controller/mister to keep it at the desired amount, plus lots of access to water sources inside the table. Now he's around a year and admittedly I've lowered the humidity to 40-50% and give him daily hour long baths and so far he seems fine in those conditions. No signs of pyramiding etc and he seems happy enough.

I would say that guide is probably best if you're in a position to set up everything in the first place like that though.

dm3577

MD
Hi, and welcome!
This guide will explain everything you need
So I have a double critter nation that I could plexiglass in to keep humidity in, the measurements are 36” L X 24” W X 39” H. Would this work for a bit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I have a double critter nation that I could plexiglass in to keep humidity in, the measurements are 36” L X 24” W X 39” H. Would this work for a bit?
Are you talking about this:

1639326872425.png

I don't see a tortoise in that set up. I'd much prefer a large plastic tub if you can't afford the closed plexi enclosure.

dm3577

MD
Are you talking about this:

View attachment 337390

I don't see a tortoise in that set up. I'd much prefer a large plastic tub if you can't afford the closed plexi enclosure.
Yes however it’s completely empty and just one half is together. It has plexiglass halfway up the sides as it was for a hedgehog at one point