First Timer

LadyScott

Location (City and/or State)
Barbados
Hi guys,
I found this little beauty in my mother's garden so we've adopted her until we can figure out where she came from as none of our neighbours are claiming her.
I've started doing some research. Am I right in thinking she's a yellow foot tort? She's only 6 inches so I'm guessing she's quite young. Would any one like to take a guess at her age?
I'm presuming she's a she because her tail is quite short.....but then again, she's quite small so I have no idea if her tail is short or long for her size!
She was initially quite shy but now she literally follows me when I'm outside and seems to like me feeding her. At first it was cute but I'm trying to be careful not to over handle her - should she escape I want her to be able to manage on her own.
Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Nervously yours
LadyScott

20180922_165954.png

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a Redfoot tortoise that isn't particularly red by what it looks like on my telephone. But Yellowfoot keeping is similar.
At six inches, it could be a year old. Maybe older if its living conditions where less than ideal.
@Anyfoot(is it a Red?)
I see you are in Barbados.
I believe there are wild populations there. Aren't they?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It’s a redfoot, someone’s pet probably.
I’d guess 18 to 24months old at that size for a captive raised redfoot.

LadyScott

Barbados
It's a Redfoot tortoise that isn't particularly red by what it looks like on my telephone. But Yellowfoot keeping is similar.
At six inches, it could be a year old. Maybe older if its living conditions where less than ideal.
@Anyfoot(is it a Red?)

A Redfoot? REALLY????
Ok. Thanks. From what I can gather there are a few wild ones from escaping pets. She would have had to cross some pretty busy roads to get to our house as she doesn't belong to any of our neighbours.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yours is a Redfoot. Single rostral scale (nose) is Redfoot trait, yellowfoots have a split rostral scale. Color varies widely in RFs, maybe from genetics, locale or even diet.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
@Anyfoot(is it a Red?)

I’ve read that back around 1850 a number of redfoot tortoises were given to the British governor of Barbados as a gift and that native RFs are descendants of these. Also many RFs were spread around the Caribbean islands by sailors as a future food source.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Another vote here for Redfooted tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonaria), and may possibly be a wild tortoise, however, because of the bumpy shell (pyramided) I'm opting for someone's escaped pet. The pyramiding occurs because he was kept too dry as a baby. Nothing wrong with that, just cosmetic.

LadyScott

Barbados
Ah! I thought the faint line down the middle of her frontal scale meant it was split but I trust you guys - so Red foot she is!
Dehydration is my main concern tbh. She hates soaking and when I literally put water right by her she'll only take 2 sips or so. We haven't had consistent rain so I'm not sure where she's getting moisture from. Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah! I thought the faint line down the middle of her frontal scale meant it was split but I trust you guys - so Red foot she is!
Dehydration is my main concern tbh. She hates soaking and when I literally put water right by her she'll only take 2 sips or so. We haven't had consistent rain so I'm not sure where she's getting moisture from. Any ideas?
Not all tortoises enjoy a "swim." But, like telling your kid, "Eat your vegetables," soaking is good for them whether or not they like it. Eventually the tortoise will get used to the daily routine and will start to realize what it's there for. Place him in a bowl of warm water where the water comes up to the middle of his sides, a bowl that he can't climb out of, and leave him there for about 15 minutes every day.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
My tort hated soaks until I started doing it first thing in the morning while he is still cold. Now he really seems to like the warm water. He closes his eyes and stretches out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you keep a shallow pool of water nearby, you might find that he/she will self soak.
Mine hate being soaked, but if left alone, they spend over an hour a day just sitting in one of the pools.
It's been my observation that Redfoot are very aquatic. They love the rain. The water and mud!
If you have an outdoors enclosure, get a sprinkler...Attach it to a hose....Instant rain.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is one we had dumped on us. Very bumpy. But that face is stunning. She loves having a soak.
4F006A9B-E16F-45D4-9191-749F8276776B.jpeg

LadyScott

Barbados
Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate all of your help. It's been a crazy couple of weeks trying to do a self guided crash course on tortoises as she wasn't planned so the support here is fantastic! Thank You!

LadyScott

Barbados
My tort hated soaks until I started doing it first thing in the morning while he is still cold. Now he really seems to like the warm water. He closes his eyes and stretches out.
I'll try this. Thanks

LadyScott

Barbados
Not all tortoises enjoy a "swim." But, like telling your kid, "Eat your vegetables," soaking is good for them whether or not they like it. Eventually the tortoise will get used to the daily routine and will start to realize what it's there for. Place him in a bowl of warm water where the water comes up to the middle of his sides, a bowl that he can't climb out of, and leave him there for about 15 minutes every day.
I did that today. I'm sure she gave me a dirty look when she finally got out. Lol. She hid from me for the rest of the day too. I'll try to make it more of a routine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I did that today. I'm sure she gave me a dirty look when she finally got out. Lol. She hid from me for the rest of the day too. I'll try to make it more of a routine.
Right. Same time of day every day. Like LaLaP suggested, put him in the warm soak first thing in the a.m. while you're preparing his food. Warm soak, then food. Same routine