first tort table...any recomendations?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

redreatta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
columbus,ohio
ok. so i have posted on here once before asking for ((a little help)) and because of everyones input and alot of research i have built my first tortoise table. i used a old countertop i had in the garage as the base. mostly because it is waterproof. then i used a bookcase frame because it is a great height. got some 1 1/2 X 2 in. timber and built the arms for the light post cause i read a couple places that it is better for the lights to be pointing down. picked up some plants that i saw on a approved tortoise website, then planted some bluegrass and wheatgrass and i think iggie likes it.......well we will see..lol

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 168

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a cute little tortoise. I'm sure he's gonna' love his new digs. You've done a good job. I like that you capped the corners and it makes a great place for plants.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I agree with Yvonne. I think you did an awesome job. He's going to be very happy in there. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Me three! That's a great tort table, it looks like a wonderful place for your tortoise to live...And because he is so small, and it's a good sized area, he will be able to use it for a long time...good job!!!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Looks awesome =] Question: What are the plates of dirt on top of the hides for? I'm assuming you're growing weeds in them?

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I had a live cactus like that is one of my tort's enclosure. The needles sometimes fall off. One got lodged into his foot. He was bleeding and everything. I figured I would tell this story.

redreatta

5 Year Member
columbus,ohio
sammi said:
Looks awesome =] Question: What are the plates of dirt on top of the hides for? I'm assuming you're growing weeds in them?

yes they are a rye grass and thank you

ryanseiler said:
I had a live cactus like that is one of my tort's enclosure. The needles sometimes fall off. One got lodged into his foot. He was bleeding and everything. I figured I would tell this story.

thank you and i will move the cactus to a different location

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I love that enclosure....and your baby is a real cutie! Good job!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great tort table!! I'm hoping to build Nelson a table this summer. He's 6 months old now and I already feel like his enclosure is too small :p

Your baby is SO teeny!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Looks great! I also think the baby is adorable. I do have a few suggestions.

I think you should have more hides, whether they be boxes, half logs, fake or real plants (closer to the surface), a pile of hay, etc. Little ones spend most of their time hiding, and you need multiple hides so you have at least one in each temperature zone. Soon you will see what type of hide and which temperature zone the tort prefers to spend most of its day so you can adapt the enclosure. You especially need a hide directly near the basking spot to encourage the tortoise to bask. My little guy did not bask for the first few weeks I had him because there was nowhere nearby to hide. Because he was not warm enough, he was not eating well. My Russian likes a hay pile directly next to his basking spot. He will sit in there most of the day (it is in the high 80s). He is weird and doesn't like box hides, only fake plants and hay piles. Hatchlings commonly like to bask within touching distance of a hide so they feel they can quickly retreat from predators, as well as spend time in the hide where it is warm. Without the warm hide my tort spent his time in the cool hide. I had incorrectly thought he would go warm up on his own, but without feeling safe he would not.

What type of substrates are you using? We'd love to read more about what you are feeding, calcium type and frequency,temperatures, light/heat/UVB, etc.

A slate tile makes an awesome feeding spot as it helps the beak and nails as well as being easy for the tort to use as there is no lip to climb and lots of space to spread the food out (they typically like to walk on their food pile if you haven't noticed yet).

If the tort hadn't already been living in the table I would have suggested to block off part of it to enlarge it as the tort grows, but it is too late now. Just a thought for your future tables, as you do need to have the enclosure size increase regularly for a growing tort. A growing tortoise in an enclosure is a similar effect to placing an adult tortoise in subsequently smaller enclosures over time.

Again, great job! Best wishes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice job, I think capped corners are a great way to prevent escapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.