First Tort Will Be Here Friday! Needing Habitat Help...

MAV3RICK

Location (City and/or State)
House Springs, MO
Hello!

I want to start by thanking everyone for all the incredible info on this forum.

I've been lurking for the past couple weeks, preparing for the arrival of our Sulcata that will be here on Friday, and I've learned a lot from all of your posts...

Anyway, I want to make sure everything is ready for Frank (unofficial name and short for Franklin) when he arrives on Friday. We are going with an Iris Xmas Tree Tote Habitat and I could use some help with the setup and choosing a heat/light source.

Here is what we have:

-Xmas Tree Tote
-ReptiBark Fir Mulch
-Zoo Med Eco Earth Bricks
-CHE set on a thermostat
-Terracotta dish and hideaway
-cuttle bone

I know there is a lot more that needs to be done, which is why I'm here!

Frank is 2mos old, has been eating Opuntia, some dark greens and developing a taste for Mazuri (per the breeder). I will reference the Sulcata Diet Sheet, see what I can find locally, and order anything else that is needed online.

I still need a basking lamp and UVB source, so would you recommend I go with the Zoo Med Powersun Mercury Vapor Lamp set on a 12-14hr timer to take care of both?

Does anyone have pictures of their Xmas Tree Tote setup they would care to share?

This is a gift for my son, but really that is an excuse for me to finally get a tortoise for myself lol. I've been a herp since I was 5 years old, always tried keeping every snake, lizard and turtle I found, and when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up my answer was "A turtle catcher" until I was was in my teens

I'm committed to making this work!

I'm sure more questions will pop up as I go along, and I look forward to your advice...

Thank you

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My advice is to get the enclosure completely set up now. That way you have a little time to make sure all the temperatures and humidity is right. Keep the lid to your tote, and cut holes big enough for the lights to shine through. You can also put a piece of plexiglass over the top so you can see in there easier but it will keep the humidity in. A mercury vapor bulb will work fine during The day, and a CHE for heat at night.
So get it all set up then post some pictures and people can give you more specific suggestions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Here’s a picture of one I set up for my Russian tortoise. You could do something like this and put plexiglass over the top to keep the humidity in. Because your tortoises going to need more humidity and heat than mine.
IMG_3526.jpg

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
Here’s a picture of one I set up for my Russian tortoise. You could do something like this and put plexiglass over the top to keep the humidity in. Because your tortoises going to need more humidity and heat than mine.
View attachment 225584

Thank you!

I planned on cutting holes in the lid and adding some sheet metal around the edge so the plastic did not melt, or simply cutting the lid in half and adding a mesh/wire screen for the lights to sit on/above on the open side.

And yes, I will have everything ready to go by tomorrow night

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to use a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store for basking and adjust the height up or down to get the correct temp under it.

ZooMed makes a 10.0 HO tube bulb that will work nicely for light and UV. I like the Arcadia ones from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

I have a few tough questions for you to make sure that you are sure that you are doing the right thing long term:
  1. What are you going to do with a 150 pound eating/pooping destructo machine during your frozen Missouri winters? This is like housing a pony or a large pig that needs 80 degree temps year round. Have you thought that far ahead? It can be done, but it is not cheap or easy. Have you considered smaller species that would fare better in your climate?
  2. You are making your own life difficult and and the tortoises life not as good by using the tub for housing. Why not buy or build a closed chamber? Temperature and humidity maintenance is easy in a closed chamber, but very difficult in a tub with an open top.
  3. Did the breeder you are buying from soak the baby daily? Keep it on damp substrate with some humidity? Most of them don't. You should check on this before you buy if you are not sure. I've watched too many people suffer through the heartbreak of losing a baby even though they did everything "right", because the breeder didn't start the baby right. Don't want to see you and your son go through that.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can put tinfoil around the edges of the lights don’t melt the plastic. You can put tinfoil around the edges of the lights don’t melt the plastic. This tub will only last you a few months at the most. Building a large closed chamber can get you a few more years. But eventually you’ll probably have to build some sort of shed or indoor room for the winter. There are lots of posts on here about how to do that. There are lots of posts on here about how to do that.

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
Best to use a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store for basking and adjust the height up or down to get the correct temp under it.

ZooMed makes a 10.0 HO tube bulb that will work nicely for light and UV. I like the Arcadia ones from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

I have a few tough questions for you to make sure that you are sure that you are doing the right thing long term:
  1. What are you going to do with a 150 pound eating/pooping destructo machine during your frozen Missouri winters? This is like housing a pony or a large pig that needs 80 degree temps year round. Have you thought that far ahead? It can be done, but it is not cheap or easy. Have you considered smaller species that would fare better in your climate?
  2. You are making your own life difficult and and the tortoises life not as good by using the tub for housing. Why not buy or build a closed chamber? Temperature and humidity maintenance is easy in a closed chamber, but very difficult in a tub with an open top.
  3. Did the breeder you are buying from soak the baby daily? Keep it on damp substrate with some humidity? Most of them don't. You should check on this before you buy if you are not sure. I've watched too many people suffer through the heartbreak of losing a baby even though they did everything "right", because the breeder didn't start the baby right. Don't want to see you and your son go through that.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for for your advice and I understand your concerns!

I made sure to research what it would take to properly care for a Sulcata in this climate. We have a large, wide open basement and plan on dedicating a good portion of it to house Frank during the colder months.

The tub is just temporary until I complete a more permanent enclosure like a few of the wood/pvc and glass ones I’ve seen here. We are also going to be building an outdoor enclosure and will have it ready by the time it starts to warm up!

MO winters aren’t as bad as some think- 2 weeks ago we were still in the 60’s lol. Granted, that may not be the case every year...

I purchased Frank from the Arizona Tortoise Compound, and I will be sure to ask Andrew the questions you posed ;)

Again, I know it may be difficult and expensive, but this is a dream of mine that I am finally able to make happen, and my entire family is excited to start this journey.

:)

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
You can put tinfoil around the edges of the lights don’t melt the plastic. You can put tinfoil around the edges of the lights don’t melt the plastic. This tub will only last you a few months at the most. Building a large closed chamber can get you a few more years. But eventually you’ll probably have to build some sort of shed or indoor room for the winter. There are lots of posts on here about how to do that. There are lots of posts on here about how to do that.

Thank you for the foil idea- already drawing up plans for the next enclosure! :)